Making Raspberry Wine without Raspberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife loves anything made with raspberries so I decided to make a RJS Rockin Raspberry Rose wine kit. Everything in the wine making process for this kit went normally and the wine is now in the clearing stage. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading the box label after racking the wine. There is no raspberry anything in the RJS Rockin Raspberry Rose kit.

Checking the label, I saw that the main ingredient was grape juice concentrate, with the rest of the ingredient listing consisting of a bunch of chemicals. The flavor pack ingredient list contains sugar, natural flavors (flavor not specified), and potassium sorbate. No raspberries!

While I'm not a purist when it comes to what I eat or drink, there does seem to be something innately wrong with one of the major ingredients in a wine kit not being the component named on the box, especially in a kit from a well respected wine making kit manufacturer. Knowing what I now know, I don't think that I'll be making this wine again.

Are the wine kits in the Island Mist series similarly provisioned?

The "wine" is the base. It is made from grapes because grapes make wine very well. The flavoring pack will be raspberry flavored.

Thats how all "mist" kits work, a grape wine, generally a very mild and easily overpowered flavor with a flavoring pack that makes the taste equal to the name on the kit.

Raspberries are hard to ferment and wont taste like raspberries after they are done.

if you wish you can add raspberry to the wine now. some of their flavor will be added to the wine. I would use a couple of pounds and then monitor weekly the flavor to you taste. I would insure that sorbate has been added to the wine or the addition of the sugar in the raspberry will start fermentation again.

Back