Making peach, yeast not starting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
The morning of the 18th I started a 5 gallon batch of peach wine. 24 hours later, I added a packet of EC-1118 yeast that I have had in the fridge for about 8 months . the date on the edge states 2/2021. Today is 12/21.
How long should I wait for the yeast to take hold and show signs of fermenting? I have fresh yeast ( premier Blanc). Most of the wines I have made have shown at least a little action by 3 days.

This is just thinking of things that can cause problems with yeast starting.

Did you measure your ph and make sure it is in a good range for wine 3.2-3.7? Is your sg in a good range below about 1.15? Did you proof the yeast by adding it to some water to let it bloom a bit before pitching and make sure it was around the same temp as your must? Did you make sure none of the ingredients used to make the must had sorbate added? Metabisulphite added? Did you make sure there was adequate oxygen in the must by stirring to add some? There's probably half a dozen other things in not thinking of.

The directions on the side of the can told to sprinkle the yeast across the surface of the must. This morning I opened the primary and there was a grey scum on the top of the must. No action is showing in the air lock. This is a 128 oz. can of Vinters Harvest Peach wine base and a 64 oz can of Vinters Harvest peach puree (placed in a nylon bag). I followed the instructions on the side of the can for a 5 gallon batch, with the addition of the peach puree.
I removed that scum with a sieve and am now waiting for a fresh packet of yeast to activate suspended in a cup of warm water.

After a 20 minute wait on the yeast, ( it was starting to rise in the cup) I cast it into the must. 10 minutes later I saw air bubbles in the air lock. 20 minutes later it is absolutely galloping along. I feel that my first cast of yeast was old.

Have kept yeast in the fridge for 3 years, yup past code.
Yeast will die due to heat exposure faster than low temp. I have used it 2 years past code with no issue. Industry builds safety factor in for poor storage conditions.
packet of EC-1118 yeast that I have had in the fridge for about 8 months . the date on the edge states 2/2021.

Latest posts

Back