Making fruit wine fizzy like a “moscato d asti”

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefbry68

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals !
I’m quite new to the hobby and was wondering what do I need to do to make my wines fizzy just like a moscato d asti . My wife loves, loves, LOVES the bubbles. I’m looking to make various fruit wines - strawberry, blueberry, cranberry and blackberry as well as different sangrias and hopefully be able to incorporate the bubbles. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated . Thanks !! :)

a method is to make the wine still following normal procedures at about 10% abv. do not add any sulphite or sorbate. once wine is clear add about 3/4 cup of sugar per 5 gallons of wine. bottle in beer bottle with caps or champagne bottles. can use caps with these also. wine will ferment in bottle and give a carbonated fizz. some yeast or sediment will be on bottom of bottle just be careful one pouring. it will take about a month or more for the fizz to occur.

Hey guys and gals !
I’m quite new to the hobby and was wondering what do I need to do to make my wines fizzy just like a moscato d asti . My wife loves, loves, LOVES the bubbles. I’m looking to make various fruit wines - strawberry, blueberry, cranberry and blackberry as well as different sangrias and hopefully be able to incorporate the bubbles. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated . Thanks !! :)

You could also experiment with pet-nat : Your Pét-Nat Primer | Wine Enthusiast

My wines take a fairly long time to degas naturally in the basement. Sometimes, I bottle some well-aged but not-yet-fully-degassed whites for a little pétillance on the tongue.

a method is to make the wine still following normal procedures at about 10% abv. do not add any sulphite or sorbate. once wine is clear add about 3/4 cup of sugar per 5 gallons of wine. bottle in beer bottle with caps or champagne bottles. can use caps with these also. wine will ferment in bottle and give a carbonated fizz. some yeast or sediment will be on bottom of bottle just be careful one pouring. it will take about a month or more for the fizz to occur.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated , I’ll try it out :))

Alrighty , thanks I’ll try that out :))

My wines take a fairly long time to degas naturally in the basement. Sometimes, I bottle some well-aged but not-yet-fully-degassed whites for a little pétillance on the tongue.

I may try that also , although I’m a little apprehensive - I don’t want to wind up with any wine bottle bombs ...I’ll maybe try that with champagne bottles or moscato di asti bottles reused from the store bought that my wife drinks already

I may try that also , although I’m a little apprehensive - I don’t want to wind up with any wine bottle bombs ...I’ll maybe try that with champagne bottles or moscato di asti bottles reused from the store bought that my wife drinks already
I'm giving my age away here. Back last century, it was reported in Berry's 'Amateur Winemaker' magazine that a chappie had his left hand split in half when a bottle exploded as he took it from his cellar. His wife called the police, they called the bomb squad in who did a controlled explosion of ALL of his wine in the back garden. It sounds a bit far fetched but it was true. Take care, even in Champagne they have exploding bottles.

I'm giving my age away here. Back last century, it was reported in Berry's 'Amateur Winemaker' magazine that a chappie had his left hand split in half when a bottle exploded as he took it from his cellar. His wife called the police, they called the bomb squad in who did a controlled explosion of ALL of his wine in the back garden. It sounds a bit far fetched but it was true. Take care, even in Champagne they have exploding bottles.
That's enough info to make ME never to want to pursue that avenue!..Thanks............................Dizzy

Bottle bombs will only occur** if you have no idea how much CO2 the yeast is producing in a sealed volume of glass. If you have fermented the wine you are making brut dry (so the gravity is below 1.000 and you add a very specific amount of fermentable sugar (no more than will produce about 2.5 atmosphere's of pressure) then champagne bottles with champagne caps and wire cages will hold the pressure without problems. Champagne bottles are designed to withstand about double that pressure.
** The one caveat is if the bottle is defective...

One thing I forgot to say about the bottle explosion was that it was supposed to be a still wine not a sparkler.

Latest posts

Back