Making "frizzante".....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a dry Reisling that is cleared and ready to bottle, but I would like to make a few bottles of "sparkling" or "frizzante" style and was wondering what the proper proportions of sugar and yeast per 750ml bottle would be. I don't need it to be as bubbly as a "Champagne" style, but more like a Frascati "fizzante". I'm still going to use the heavier bottles to avoid any cellar explosions, but will also do a couple of 2 liter plastic soda bottles which I would then like to "rebottle" into something nicer for serving.

Anyways, it was suggested to me to use 1/8 teaspoon of yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar per 750ml bottle, and for the 2 liter soda bottles, 1/4 cup sugar and stick with the 1/8 teaspoon of yeast.

Does this sound about right? :a1

I have made this wine without adding additional yeast to wine, unless you have sterile filtered it. Some yeast are still available in the wine, all they need is food. Borrowing from the beer world, I have had good luck with adding 3/4 tsp for 5 gallons of wine. I bottled in beer bottles with beer cap wine has bubbles in about a month. Your formula of adding yeast and sugar to non champagne bottle would be hazardous in making bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back