Making banana wine, ingredients,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made 1st and only batch of Banana wine Sept 2019. I used washed 24 lbs(skins 0n) of ripe black splotched bananas. Reduced local Grocery store. (.10ct a lb) I peeled the bananas and put the pulp in one pot, and the Skins in another pot. Added 1.5 gallons of water to each pot and brought to 160 degrees and added 1 tsp Amlayse to each pot and let sit for 30 min at 155-160 F. I then turned off the heat source and let the mixtures cool to 130 degrees then added 1 tsp Beta Amylase to each pot and let cool. At about 110 degrees I added 2 tsp pectic enzyme to each pot. I allowed 1 hour with the lid placed on each large stockpot. Why the amylase? To break down any starch in the banana into fermentable sugar. I placed the contents of the pot with the banana pulp into a 7-gallon bucket, I then strained and squeezed the contents of the pot containing the banana skins into a second large stockpot. Then dumped it into the 7-gallon bucket. I measured the Starting gravity. Then heated water and sugar to 120 degrees till dissolved and poured into the 7-gallon bucket. I added some apple juice to bring Total 5+ gallons of Banana Water/banana pulp. The SG was 1.090 give or take because of the must temp. It looked like a bucket of dirty muddy water. I was going to dump it but didn't. At about 85 deg F pitched 71B yeast slurry, and laid lid on the bucket. The fermentation foam was heavy for the 1st couple of days. 10 days later, the wine fermented enough and turned into a sun yellow banana wine. I racked from the bucket into a Big Mouth glass carboy secondary. Careful to stay above the heavy sludge and lees on the bottom. I left about 3/4 gallon in the bucket. In the secondary, more material and yeast fell to the bottom. 2 weeks later I racked a (2nd time) into another big mouth glass fermenter. The 3rd rack was to 1-gallon glass jugs. I ended up with less than 4 gallons of banana FG 0.090 wine. It looked great, nice yellow color, clarity cloudy hazy. Smelled like a bunch of bananas as if holding them to your nose. The wine has a light banana taste. Was it drinkable? Have you ever bit into a yellow banana skin? That's the bite the wine has to it. 4 months later It's losing some of the banana "tannic bite" but I've yet to drink a glass on its own. Lesson learned, don't use too many banana skins. I think much of the yellow of the wine is because of the Banana skin color extraction. Lesson learned, use more banana pulp, maybe double what I used. I'm going to rack the Banana wine again, and eventually try to clear it. I like dry wine, but I will have to back sweeten this if it's going to be drinkable. Sorry for the long explanation, but hopefully there is something someone can use.

Obviously the skins aren't black and that most likely caused the Tannic bite

Attachments

• Bananas9-28-19.jpg
    Bananas9-28-19.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 15
Good for topping up with after racking. Basically goes well with everything.

yes a very light flavor that does no over power the banana, i just racked from the fermenter to 5 carboys of skeeter pee, so i'm fixing to start a banana 100-lbs, apple juice 18 gal , golden raisins 45 lbs, and just a touche pineapple 3 quarts and 15 lbs granny smith apples, aint got a clue how this will go, but i never learn i jump head first everytime, after i see my must i might up with more apple juice
Dawg

Last edited:
Wife just showed up with 9 big bags of bananas from Ingles.

thank you,, if ok with you, Please bring them by sunday afternoon, lol ,, i had to try,,,

that's very cool, if you don't mind me asking, you said you never use golden raisins, so do you let em blacken/ripen then freeze them, and skins on or off,do you add any other flavors ? i leave my skins on, let them get very, very ripe. the must i'm fixing to start i stated the ingredients above, the only variable will be the amount of juice for good liquidation of my must, i have to make my country wines very bold due to my lack of pallet , my trachea is 100% closed of due to scar tissue from being intubated so many times, i wear a permanent tracheostomy cannula in my throat, which greatly inhibits smell, that's why i use very bold fruits and berries, or mix different things together , my last banana to me was so-so, but my brother and others loved it, this one he'll only get half and i'll get half, so he'll be surprised because this time i'm going to try and bring out very bold flavors for me, but i'd love for the banana to come thru to me,
Dawg

thank you,, if ok with you, Please bring them by sunday afternoon, lol ,, i had to try,,,

that's very cool, if you don't mind me asking, you said you never use golden raisins, so do you let em blacken/ripen then freeze them, and skins on or off,do you add any other flavors ? i leave my skins on, let them get very, very ripe. the must i'm fixing to start i stated the ingredients above, the only variable will be the amount of juice for good liquidation of my must, i have to make my country wines very bold due to my lack of pallet , my trachea is 100% closed of due to scar tissue from being intubated so many times, i wear a permanent tracheostomy cannula in my throat, which greatly inhibits smell, that's why i use very bold fruits and berries, or mix different things together , my last banana to me was so-so, but my brother and others loved it, this one he'll only get half and i'll get half, so he'll be surprised because this time i'm going to try and bring out very bold flavors for me, but i'd love for the banana to come thru to me,
Dawg
I actually let them ripen to the point that the skins are starting to break (either split or they start breaking off the bunch) the we peel them, vacuum seal them and freeze (vacuum sealing keeps them from turning black), then when I have enough I toss in my bucket and load it up on pectic enzyme and let them thaw and liquify, add sugar to apple juice mix it in well and pitch yeast (I use EC1118 yeast.

I actually let them ripen to the point that the skins are starting to break (either split or they start breaking off the bunch) the we peel them, vacuum seal them and freeze (vacuum sealing keeps them from turning black), then when I have enough I toss in my bucket and load it up on pectic enzyme and let them thaw and liquify, add sugar to apple juice mix it in well and pitch yeast (I use EC1118 yeast.

thank you dralams,
that's a way , i'll have to try, aind yep, mine are very mushy before i freeze, i like my banana around 80% black, more or less, next batch, ill give that a shot, this one is committed to skins on, thank you again, i guess i'll be making more for my brother, i've went from trying to sell my brother to offering to pay anyone to take him, lol

Why did I think you used 71-B? I must be losing it......

yes a very light flavor that does no over power the banana, i just racked from the fermenter to 5 carboys of skeeter pee, so i'm fixing to start a banana 100-lbs, apple juice 18 gal , golden raisins 45 lbs, and just a touche pineapple 3 quarts and 15 lbs granny smith apples, aint got a clue how this will go, but i never learn i jump head first everytime, after i see my must i might up with more apple juice
Dawg
How is this going?

How is this going?
good so far, i moved #3-6's to the corner all against the wall, only only about 18 more months, since i'd cleared them of sediment, i had a pint left in top of jug, went to my brothers and we drank it, once that minor bite has smoothed out,, and the golden raisins hopeful to say the least,blend into the banana, i'm very hopeful to say the least,
ton of work but i believe it will all come together, and enhance all the flavors,,
Dawg

If using banana skins, is there need to add tannin separately? (I'd think not.) Interesting stuff here dawg.

I separated skins and put that in a bucket to ferment separately. Added the appropriate amount of acid blend and yeast nutrient and nothing has happened.. (I assume the tannin rich environment is too harsh for the yeast?) I was supposed to do a small starter with lallvin 1116 this morning but, forgot to add sugar before leaving the house! Hahahah

If using banana skins, is there need to add tannin separately? (I'd think not.) Interesting stuff here dawg.
no i add no tannings, but while bright yellow or some green showing i wash and scrub using a vegetable scrub brush, to try and get what's more than likely sprayed on all produce from the stores, anyway after cleaning i lay my bananas up high and everywhere till almost solid black, then put them in freezer bags and freeze, now come must time i dump them in a food grade barrel or brute trash can, and punch them around till all thawed out, instead of water i use great value apple juice, tons of pectic enzymes, thaw my chopped golden raisins at same time, i'm shooting for a ABV of around 11%, light flavors and high ABV don't taste all that good, i' wish to sip slowly cold banana wine in the fall an/or spring
Dawg

Obviously the skins aren't black and that most likely caused the Tannic bite
Thankyou for the benefit of your experience, albeit an unfortunate one! I, too, am awaiting the clearing of a banana/pineapple which I recorded as tasting "yuky"!! I am hoping time will improve the taste, and the clearing. Fortunately I do have patience....................Dizzy

Thankyou for the benefit of your experience, albeit an unfortunate one! I, too, am awaiting the clearing of a banana/pineapple which I recorded as tasting "yuky"!! I am hoping time will improve the taste, and the clearing. Fortunately I do have patience....................Dizzy
for me pear, banana and pineapple are tough to clear, but patience will do it every time,,, my pear/apple takes 2 years but beyond worth it,,, my brother and i sipped some 6 year old elderberry, at least 2 more years, but i'm hoping for 4 more years,
Dawg

The banana wine I made is almost 9 months old. I have 3 one-gallon jugs. and one-half gallon jug left. I had also made 3 sample bottles that I have since drunk. The banana wine is not back sweetened. The last sample bottle I drunk, about a 2 weeks ago was better than the first two sample bottles, it's smoothing out, was drinkable but still a little rough. After a few sips, I add apple or peach juice, into the wine glass so that it's better tasting. It still delivers on the ABV :). My guess is that the banana wine Sept 2019 batch will be ready in summer 2021.

Last edited:
The banana wine I made is almost 9 months old. I have 3 one-gallon jugs. and one-half gallon jug left. I had also made 3 sample bottles that I have since drunk. The banana wine is not back sweetened. The last sample bottle I drunk, about a 2 weeks ago was better than the first two sample bottles, it's smoothing out, was drinkable but still a little rough. After a few sips, I add apple or peach juice, into the wine glass so that it's better tasting. It still delivers on the ABV :). My guess is that the banana wine Sept 2019 batch will be ready in summer 2021.
Thankyou for the info....................I will NOT give up hope that this might turn int a wonderful wine!.. Time heals all......................................Dizzy

I am thinking of 100% frozen pineapple juice concentrate. I am using it in something else right now and so far I am liking it. Nanners are dark and in the freezer waiting to be wine. :HB

Latest posts

Back