Making banana wine, ingredients,

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Bradford Berger, Oct 24, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Feb 14, 2020 at 11:22 AM #21

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Junior

Good for topping up with after racking. Basically goes well with everything.

hounddawg likes this.
  2. Feb 14, 2020 at 9:55 PM #22

Steve Wargo

Steve Wargo

Steve Wargo

Enthusiast DIYer

Obviously the skins aren't black and that most likely caused the Tannic bite

Attached Files:

hounddawg likes this.
  3. Feb 14, 2020 at 9:58 PM #23

hounddawg

hounddawg

hounddawg

dawg

yes a very light flavor that does no over power the banana, i just racked from the fermenter to 5 carboys of skeeter pee, so i'm fixing to start a banana 100-lbs, apple juice 18 gal , golden raisins 45 lbs, and just a touche pineapple 3 quarts and 15 lbs granny smith apples, aint got a clue how this will go, but i never learn i jump head first everytime, after i see my must i might up with more apple juice
    Dawg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 1:59 AM
  4. Feb 14, 2020 at 11:36 PM #24

dralarms

dralarms

dralarms

Overboard as usual Staff Member Super Moderator

Wife just showed up with 9 big bags of bananas from Ingles.

hounddawg likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2020 at 1:52 AM #25

hounddawg

hounddawg

hounddawg

dawg

thank you,, if ok with you, Please bring them by sunday afternoon, lol ,, i had to try,,,

that's very cool, if you don't mind me asking, you said you never use golden raisins, so do you let em blacken/ripen then freeze them, and skins on or off,do you add any other flavors ? i leave my skins on, let them get very, very ripe. the must i'm fixing to start i stated the ingredients above, the only variable will be the amount of juice for good liquidation of my must, i have to make my country wines very bold due to my lack of pallet , my trachea is 100% closed of due to scar tissue from being intubated so many times, i wear a permanent tracheostomy cannula in my throat, which greatly inhibits smell, that's why i use very bold fruits and berries, or mix different things together , my last banana to me was so-so, but my brother and others loved it, this one he'll only get half and i'll get half, so he'll be surprised because this time i'm going to try and bring out very bold flavors for me, but i'd love for the banana to come thru to me,
    Dawg

6. Feb 15, 2020 at 2:03 AM #26

dralarms

dralarms

dralarms

I actually let them ripen to the point that the skins are starting to break (either split or they start breaking off the bunch) the we peel them, vacuum seal them and freeze (vacuum sealing keeps them from turning black), then when I have enough I toss in my bucket and load it up on pectic enzyme and let them thaw and liquify, add sugar to apple juice mix it in well and pitch yeast (I use EC1118 yeast.

hounddawg likes this.
  7. Feb 15, 2020 at 11:34 AM #27

hounddawg

hounddawg

hounddawg

dawg

thank you dralams,
    that's a way , i'll have to try, aind yep, mine are very mushy before i freeze, i like my banana around 80% black, more or less, next batch, ill give that a shot, this one is committed to skins on, thank you again, i guess i'll be making more for my brother, i've went from trying to sell my brother to offering to pay anyone to take him, lol

8. Feb 15, 2020 at 1:45 PM #28

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Why did I think you used 71-B? I must be losing it......

9. Feb 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM #29

dralarms

dralarms

dralarms

I’ve actually used both. Either will work but the ec 1118 stands up to all the starches in bananas

Johnd and hounddawg like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted