Major Problem with pet carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyaii

wannabe pro winemaker
Reaction score
I went to clean it yesterday for a second fermentation.

For a change i thought i would use boiling hot water from the kettle first to sanitise the carboy.

Note to all users:Do not do this.

The plastic has now warped internally in the carboy and what was a 5 gallon container is now about a 4 gallon container and leans to one side.

:ft

I just bought one yesterday and try and read over the directions before I throw the box out as a reminder of what not to do, and any water above 160*F is a big no-no. If I remember correctly, if you get a better bottle and not one of the knock offs, the temperature is lower than that (I think 140*F).

Thanks for the reminder. I go with Oxi Clean as my cleaner and Star San as my final step. I just use hot water from the sink as an initial step to remove debris.

Edit: I dug my direction sheet out of the trash can. The max temperature for the bottle I bought was 53*C or about 125*F, so I lied.

Last edited:
No better teacher than experience. Sorry for your loss but may other bottles live longer as a result.

homer simpson moment, doh!

I was thinking if i used the air pressure lead for car tyres and insert it inside with a towel around the rim and depress it might make it blow out.

i use oxi clean as well but usually hot water from the tap after instead of star san

Hot water especially from the tap does not sanitize. For hot water to sanitize you need to have the product in the water boiling for 5 minutes.

It's so easy to make mistakes, harder to fix them.

After giving my suggestion a little thought I removed it. lol

Latest posts

Back