Major krausen issue with my Peach wine w/photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patience is most important ingredient, time will take care of many things when it comes to wine, IMHO, them lees need way more time to settle, again IMHO.
Dawg
Thanks. I really am getting better at patience. Speaking of patience, I have a couple of gallons of wine in a 5 gallon container at 1.000 SG. Can I just leave it in there for a little while or do I need to deal with that headspace?

Thanks. I really am getting better at patience. Speaking of patience, I have a couple of gallons of wine in a 5 gallon container at 1.000 SG. Can I just leave it in there for a little while or do I need to deal with that headspace?
The devil is in the details ...

How old is the wine and how large is the headspace? Depending on your answers, it's probably ok for a few weeks. Kit vendors allow up to 6 weeks with a headspace equal to the volume of several bottles in a 23 liter carboy.

Me? I prefer to eliminate the headspace within a few weeks, as I know the wine is safe at that point.

The devil is in the details ...

How old is the wine and how large is the headspace? Depending on your answers, it's probably ok for a few weeks. Kit vendors allow up to 6 weeks with a headspace equal to the volume of several bottles in a 23 liter carboy.

Me? I prefer to eliminate the headspace within a few weeks, as I know the wine is safe at that point.
Thank you. It's a lot of headspace (more than half the 5 gal. container) and the wine is about two weeks old (correction: 1 week and 2 days). I will put it into a smaller container. I just did too much too soon knowing too little lol. A little overwhelmed and just want to get it all to where I can back away for a bit (might not be "patience" but the effect is the same :)).

With all my SGs being 1.000 or lower and all the wine being no more than 3 weeks old I should make sure they are all contained with little headspace and airlocks and I'm good for now?

With all my SGs being 1.000 or lower and all the wine being no more than 3 weeks old I should make sure they are all contained with little headspace and airlocks and I'm good for now?
Yes, you have a large headspace, but the wine is still outgassing, meaning it's emitting CO2, and will continue to do so for weeks. You are ok.

Wine is considered "done" fermenting when the SG is <= 0.998 and remains constant for 3 days. Give your wine another week and then check SG. At that time, we'll know (based upon SG) if the wine is done fermenting.

Post-fermentation, the goal is to have the wine fit the containers. I have a collection of bottles ranging from 125 ml and up. Sometimes my counter is a sea of airlocks! #3 drilled stoppers fit most wine bottles, and I possess over 25 airlocks. [I've been making wine for quite a while, and it appears airlocks breed like rabbits!]

At this moment you may feel frazzled, and you may feel stupid. You are not. You are inexperienced, and the things you are dealing with now will mold you into a good winemaker. Keep asking questions and keep moving forward. The reward is good wine! :)

Thank you. It's a lot of headspace (more than half the 5 gal. container) and the wine is about two weeks old (correction: 1 week and 2 days). I will put it into a smaller container. I just did too much too soon knowing too little lol. A little overwhelmed and just want to get it all to where I can back away for a bit (might not be "patience" but the effect is the same :)).

I'm assuming your wine is in secondary?
Headspace in secondary isn't quite so important since the fermentation probably filled the space with CO2. When you're sure fermentation is done, rack to another container and add kmeta. Don't worry and go crazy if you transfer a bit of the sediment at this point because there's still more to settle out. But NOW is when we're concerned about headspace.

Everyone is so nice and helpful here. What a wonderful place. Thank you so much.

(I'll try and remember that this isn't 'Winemakinghandholdertalk' lol.)
Richard (@hounddawg) is right!

I taught martial arts for over 20 years. The scariest thing in the universe is tying on a white belt and walking into a room full of black belts, terrified that you'll look like a fool in front of a bunch of experts.

The best folks I trained with did their best to help and encourage the beginners, the ones who would become the next group of black belts after 4 or 5 years of hard work. It was rewarding to tie a black belt (in our style, actually midnight blue) around the waist of someone who had been a white belt and stuck with it.

This group is not all that different. Except for the bruises. Winemaking doesn't leave me bruised. ;)

Richard (@hounddawg) is right!

I taught martial arts for over 20 years. The scariest thing in the universe is tying on a white belt and walking into a room full of black belts, terrified that you'll look like a fool in front of a bunch of experts.

The best folks I trained with did their best to help and encourage the beginners, the ones who would become the next group of black belts after 4 or 5 years of hard work. It was rewarding to tie a black belt (in our style, actually midnight blue) around the waist of someone who had been a white belt and stuck with it.

This group is not all that different. Except for the bruises. Winemaking doesn't leave me bruised. ;)
so does this mean i gotta be nice to you,,, :sm
Dawg

Back