Macro Bin Recommendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPS

Junior
Reaction score
Title says it all, there seems to be a lot of options for harvest bins but I have no idea what to choose besides going by the lowest price.

what to choose besides going by the lowest price.

Macro bins need to be sturdy to take all the knocks they will get being moved by forklifts, etc. You do not want the lowest priced ones. Especially if you use them also for primary fermentation (if a cheap one gets damaged, and you did not notice, pouring must into it will mean basically pouring grape juice all over the floor -- I hate to say I have been there).

Obviously if you use the bin to ferment, then you do not want a vented version, but solid one. Even if you do not use them to ferment, a vented version may be more difficult and time consuming to clean (use a pressure washer).

Also, if you do not want to use it to ferment, and only have a modest sized vineyard (size matters), do consider smaller stackable crates. For one thing, they tend to not crush any berries at the bottom of the bin like a 1/2 ton macro bin might (I have seen gape juice coming from vented bins on trucks going down the road from the vineyard to the winery), they can be stacked on a trailer or 3 point hitch tractor carry all, they are easier to store (turned 180 degrees and the slip into each other taking up less storage space in the off season), do not require forklifts to move, and are cheaper to replace if broken.

2018-08-22 07.57.36.jpg

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the advice from both of you. I'm expecting about 4 tons of LeCrescent so I think I'm going to need at least a few bins, I have the smaller totes and buckets too.

I appreciate the advice from both of you. I'm expecting about 4 tons of LeCrescent so I think I'm going to need at least a few bins, I have the smaller totes and buckets too.

Are you self harvesting, or getting some grapes delivered?

If delivered, and if the delivery comes in macro bins, ask if you can simply rent them till you process the grapes. No need buying any.

And if you are not actually using the bins to move grapes from your fields, then you do not need the most expensive bins if you are only keeping the grapes for short term storage as you move them to the crusher and into other primary fermentation vessels.

Hope this helps.

When picking at the local winery I observe that rows are picked into five gallon buckets ,, which are carried to the end of row and dumped into rubber Maids that sit on a trailer ,,, inside the winery there are large rectangular pallet size bins (3/8” sidewall) which get used for fermenting on the skins.

When picking at the local winery I observe that rows are picked into five gallon buckets ,, which are carried to the end of row and dumped into rubber Maids that sit on a trailer ,,, inside the winery there are large rectangular pallet size bins (3/8” sidewall) which get used for fermenting on the skins.

The half ton macro bins are tough and thus expensive, as they are really designed for everything from in winery primary fermentation to hauling on semi trailers large amounts of grapes (or other fruits) from large vineyards (or orchards).

For 6 tons of grapes they might be a waste of money. A half ton macro bin (holds about 180 gallons total, or 135 gallons must -- adjusting for needed headspace) and if only used for primary fermentation can be replaced by about four, smaller 44 gallon containers for less cost.

See for example:

https://morewinemaking.com/products/macro-bin-ton.html
versus

https://morewinemaking.com/products/wine-fermenter-44-gallon-fda-plastic.html
In the end, it will depend on what one wants to spend, what one will use them for, how much equipment they have to move large bins versus smaller bins for storage, cleaning etc. And etc, etc, etc other thoughts not mentioned but need to be considered.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back