Macro bin fermentation - how to keep fruit flies out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

We are a new start up winery and plan to ferment our reds in macro bins. For anyone that also does this, do you cover them to keep the fruit flies out? We purchased the macro bin screens but they seem so tight knit that they wouldn't allow enough oxygen flow - but I could be wrong. Anyone used the screens for fermentation? Are there other options for covering the bins?

Thanks for your help!

I use half ton macro-bins for ferments. I use Home Depot sliding door screen material, with wooden dowels attached to the edges of the screen, which extend past the edge of the macro bin, to hold it around the edges.

I ferment in macro bins also and I only use the lids I bought along with them. Although we have loads of fruit flies out and about, I manage to mostly keep them out of the bins and don't have trouble. I find that the keys are to (1) get the fermentation going ASAP, (2) hit the must with sulfites, and (3) press after a few days before active ferment dramatically slows. This way you get a CO2 layer that will keep the fruit flies and oxygen out. Of course, I'm fermenting french American hybrids that don't want or need a lot of skin contact.

The fruit flies are particularly bad this year and our wine making area is in basement. We've cleaned, etc and I now have a few funnel traps and have been shop vacumming the critters, but they're outpacing me. Any other ideas?

The fruit flies are particularly bad this year and our wine making area is in basement. We've cleaned, etc and I now have a few funnel traps and have been shop vacumming the critters, but they're outpacing me. Any other ideas?

Agreed. This year has been the worst I’ve ever had. To say it’s been brutal is an understatement. And not just basement. They infiltrated the whole house. I had fly paper all over, the apple cider vinegar/red wine/dishwasher detergent traps everywhere, and even sectioned off a corner with seals plastic with a zipper entry. But couldn’t stop em. Had to be quick when working to cover back up.
Ended up buying a product called Fruit Fly Barpro.(another brands equivalent) sold at Home Depot. Hang like an air freshener. Kills em dead in a few days. And lasts for months. Not supposed to use in occupied rooms, but desperate times....
Between that and temp dropping some it seemed to work. IMG_6472.JPG

Last edited:
A little late but use a cheap cotton bed sheet. Tie a string around the bin to hold the sheet on tighter.

Hello,

We are a new start up winery and plan to ferment our reds in macro bins. For anyone that also does this, do you cover them to keep the fruit flies out? We purchased the macro bin screens but they seem so tight knit that they wouldn't allow enough oxygen flow - but I could be wrong. Anyone used the screens for fermentation? Are there other options for covering the bins?

Thanks for your help!

O2 and CO2 are measured in pm. I'm pretty sure that is pico meters. 152 and 232 respectively. Bacteria are relative giants. The OP's problem is like one most of us have. We have trouble with comprehension past certain sizes.

Set out a small dish with spinosad on a piece of fruit. The fruit flies will be gone the next morning. Of course, scale it up depending on area. I've used Bull's-Eye with great results.

Latest posts

Back