WineXpert Luna Bianca arrives today - any tips?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, according to the instructions, in about 2 weeks I re-rack and then bottle. Any thoughts on bottling per instructions vs bulk-aging for a few months? If I do bulk age, any issue with leaving it on the fine lees from the clearing agent? I'm concerned about headspace.

A lot of whites are ready to bottle at the 6 month point. For Luna Bianca? If I made it again, I'd bottle at 12 months. It's a heavy duty white and benefits from aging.

Fine lees are not an issue. Once in bulk aging, add K-meta every 3 months but don't bother racking. Fine lees will flavor a lighter wine. I don't believe Luna Bianca will even notice the fine lees.

In the past I've used a 5 US gallon carboy and as many smaller bottles as required. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age -- top up the carboy with a compatible Chardonnay (or any Chardonnay, as the Luna Bianca will overpower anything lighter), and save yourself hassle.

A lot of whites are ready to bottle at the 6 month point. For Luna Bianca? If I made it again, I'd bottle at 12 months. It's a heavy duty white and benefits from aging.

Fine lees are not an issue. Once in bulk aging, add K-meta every 3 months but don't bother racking. Fine lees will flavor a lighter wine. I don't believe Luna Bianca will even notice the fine lees.

In the past I've used a 5 US gallon carboy and as many smaller bottles as required. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age -- top up the carboy with a compatible Chardonnay (or any Chardonnay, as the Luna Bianca will overpower anything lighter), and save yourself hassle.

Okay, thanks - I appreciate the advice! I think I'll just let it sit as-is for a while. I was mainly worried about headspace if I was to rack off of the lees - I won't worry about using a misc chardonnay if the need arises.

Okay, thanks - I appreciate the advice! I think I'll just let it sit as-is for a while. I was mainly worried about headspace if I was to rack off of the lees - I won't worry about using a misc chardonnay if the need arises.
Sur Lie (aging on fine lees) is a common technique for whites. I used to rack every 3 months if I saw any lees on the bottom, but I've decided it's a waste of time and each racking is a potential point of contamination, so I stopped. OTOH, if it's gross lees (fruit solids), rack it!

Regarding topup wine, I always use a wine that is at least as good as the one I'm topping up. Blending a lesser and a better wine rarely improves the better wine. @cmason1957's comment is spot on:
Or top up with some Chardonnay you would like to drink.

I just racked the reformulated Luna Bianca from primary to secondary (also racked the Dry Creek Chardonnay). I was a little surprised at how much junk was at the bottom of the fermenter.

I have plenty of Luna on the rack to top up (or I might just rack it down to a 5gal). But, I'll need to think about what I should use to top of the Dry Creek.

Latest posts

Back