Lowes Movers Coupons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a 'smart' thermostat for a while now and am just about ready to pull the trigger. They aren't cheap, but out gas company is offering a $50 rebate. And I thought I could get a discount from Lowe's. You used to be able to get a 'movers packet' from the post office that had a 10% off coupon for Lowe's, so I went and grabbed one of those yesterday. To my surprise, the Lowe's coupon in there is now only good for blinds and other window treatments. :ft It used to be that getting 10% off at Lowe's or Home Depot was pretty easy, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Anyone know where these coupons might be found?

Can't help with the coupon although every now and then Home Depot will send out a 10% coupon in the mail to me. IIRC I posted I got a Smart Thermostat that works with the Amazon Echo back at Xmas. $129 so half the price of the Nest. Its not a "learning" thermostat but don't need that feature so much anymore. Its fully programmable and if you need more or less heat at any moment you can tell Alexa or use the Sensi app. Very happy with the purchase.

I see NewEgg has it for $109

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking @ the Ecobee3. Great reviews on line - anyone here have one? I like that it has remote sensors. Our thermostat is in an area where nobody goes, so I can set up a remote sensor in the family room (center of house and obviously used often) and have it base off that. Also like that its compatible w/ Apple's HomeKit. We don't have an Echo.

As an Apple fanboi since 1988 it pains me but Apple has completely missed the boat somehow on home automation. The big selling point for all home automation is not "works with Apple HomeKit" but "Works with Amazon Echo".......

You don't need to pay $180 for the Echo. The $50 Echo Dot is the same technology without the fancy speaker built in. It still has a speaker though a small one that will work just fine or you can pair it with a BT speaker or use the handy mini audio out jack on the back. I hooked up a Dot to the AV receiver in the den and the sound is incredible compared to the Echo and its speaker. Still using the Echo in the Bedroom to turn lights on/off, heat, wake up alarm on workdays, lights in the bedroom or anywhere else in the house for that matter.

Also like that its compatible w/ Apple's HomeKit. We don't have an Echo.

Last edited:
They are definitely playing catch-up to Amazon in home automation, without a doubt. Amazon owns that space right now. I was looking at a Dot a few months ago for the very use you mentioned, then I remembered that my AV receiver has AirPlay. Problem solved.

I am the lead service tech at one of the larger companies in my area. I deal with these stats all the time.
There is nothing about a smart thermostat in it self that will save you money. Perticularly if you heat with gas.
A GOOD programable stat yes, if you program it and leave the program alone. Having the ability to change settings remotely suggests you intend to make regular changes to temperature settings.
Simple facts that sales folks dont talk about. The nest was purchased by yahoo or google (dont recall exactly which). They use wi fi to track your behavior to market products to you. The outdoor temperature they display is not the temperture out side your house. They dont allow a tech to customize operation settings to suit the equipent that you own. And they glich often. If you have less than perfict wi fi good luck. If you dont have wi fi and just like how they look, it wont get software updates.
I was ofered one for free and did not take it.
They are toys for most people. There are folks with situations, like grandma's house that remote access by you could be very convenient or a vacation home far away would let you see that equipment has failed.
Some send equipment notification that drive people nuts. The notifications are usually random nuisance faults that are meaningless.
If you must the honeywell has been the most trouble free and has had the best customer satisfaction, from my customers.
And if you are talking to the guy that works for lowes, depot, or you local mega store he is very under informed. If there is a guy thete representing a brand of equipment , carrier/trane ect. Only talk to him, he dont really work there, hes an outside rep.

As far as loacation of the stat. It should never be on an outside wall. And it should be near an air returnso that it reads temperture or the air being pulled back to the furnace/air handler. Your room may or may not have good air flow. To much or too little air flow and the rest of the house suffers. If it has averaging capabilities that is a good tool but you'll probably meet me when you call to have it setup correctly , about $ 200. From the co. I work for

To summarize 25 yrs a tech, have taught in apprenticeship, I hold every related certification, and state license, including N.A.T.E., and believe they are a scam.

As far as home automation is concerned.
Everything mechanical is subject to failure at any given moment.
Im a repairman. Get ready to write me a chech for every sensor and motor in every system you own.

I'm the opposite of Mike. I'm an Android guy and not an Apple guy, but I will say this. The Nest (now a Google product) leave something to be desired. We have about 12 of them at work (they are NOT business quality and never should have been installed at work, but that's a different argument)

That said, I wouldn't buy a Nest. They have their own issues. They aren't very accurate and they notoriously will disconnect from your WiFi which means your ability to control them via a device becomes moot.

PITA.

The reason they purchased them at my work was because of temperature changes in the office that a static setting did not seem to manage for whatever reason and needed manual adjusting. Having 12 of them in a huge building was a pain for the people that managed it, so enter the mobile app to change them remotely by the operations team. ...if they would stay connected to the stinking WiFi.

Last edited:
Buy one from a reputable heating company.
Ask for writen warranty, read it, and then troubles will be thier fault and I will hate coming to your home , lol.

Comercial buildings are a special case. System designs cant be fixed with a new stat. I see systems overlapping, occupancy getts changed from conference room to server room, walls get moved, gary wears tank tops and shorts and swets in a 65 degree room and joe wears a hoody at 75 degrees.

Sorry if Im rambling this is a soap box issue for me.
Feel free to contact me directly about any hvac issue you have.
I ll make sure your sales rep isn't leave out unpopular details regarding what you are about to purchase.

I use one of these most of the time and can Airplay as well through it which is quite handy!

AppleTVMarch2012_35160082_04.jpg

then I remembered that my AV receiver has AirPlay. Problem solved.

I realize we got some high earners in here, but my view is just get yourself a good programmable for cheap, program that bad boy, and have a glass.

My programmable has done just fine over the past 10 years. I don't need to have it interface with my cellphone and tell me in some fake voice what a great guy I am. :h Set and forget, rake in the savings. Drink.

If you have been in the military, home depot will give a 10 percent discount. At least they do around here. Arne.

LOL, one time the appliance guy was wanting me to buy the floor model so bad, he said, "Look, if you were in the military, that's 10% more off."

I said, "I wasn't, but my Dad was at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki." (That is true, BTW.)

He said, "GOOD ENOUGH!" Went back to his manager, got it squared. :D

I love to buy floor model appliances. Fantastic savings. Works the same. Same warranty.

Get a good enough stat that it can read out door temperature and lock out strip heat if you have a heat pump.

OK, Amazon just dropped their price on the Ecobee to $199. I'll be off to Best Buy to get them to price match. Combine that w/ a $10 reward certificate I have, and a $50 rebate from my utility company and I'll get it effectively for $139. :db

Latest posts

Back