Lowes Movers Coupons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More deets please.

Both companies have pages on their sites dedicated to compatibility checks, based on your current wiring. You basically select the wires that you have in your current panel, and it comes back with an answer. Normally, your therm has multiple colored wires going into it. While the wire in my wall contains all those different colors, the only ones used are the black and the red. I suspect it has something to do with my furnace/air handler handling some of the 'logic' that those other wires would control in other systems - or the therm helps it do that. But it seems to me that my system and therm are kinda made to work with each other. Anyway, mine looks like the pic below. You can send pics to Ecobee for further details/analysis, which I've done. I'll see if they say anything different.

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

Interesting. What year was your home built? Mrs IB got me the Sensi for Xmas and when I started reading about the wiring requirements I didn't think I had a chance to get it to work as it requires a constant voltage to keep the WiFi up and running. Best I can tell our house was built ~1972 or so and still has original furnace. (Yikes I know and need to replace for higher efficiency but still working perfectly) I had three wires and one was the required ~30V on constant. Has worked flawlessly since installation.

Both companies have pages on their sites dedicated to compatibility checks, based on your current wiring. You basically select the wires that you have in your current panel, and it comes back with an answer. Normally, your therm has multiple colored wires going into it. While the wire in my wall contains all those different colors, the only ones used are the black and the red. I suspect it has something to do with my furnace/air handler handling some of the 'logic' that those other wires would control in other systems - or the therm helps it do that. But it seems to me that my system and therm are kinda made to work with each other. Anyway, mine looks like the pic below. You can send pics to Ecobee for further details/analysis, which I've done. I'll see if they say anything different.

Just heard back. Maybe there's hope.

Hello Jim, thank you for contacting ecobee Support.

Based solely on the thermostat terminals, your system appears to be incompatible. The ecobee3 only supports to the standard terminals of R, G, Y, W and C.
Your system likely has a communicating board in between the thermostat and the furnace control board.
To determine if there is a chance for compatibility, we will need photos of your furnace control board. If the furnace has the correct terminals then you will just need to bypass the communicating module board and run directly from the thermostat to the furnace control board.
I do see you have extra wires, so if we can confirm you are compatible, you will have the wires.

Please send in those photos and I'll take a look.

This stat has a unique feature that alows the user inter face to be divided from the base.
At your furnace you will find the rest. The R Y W G ect will be attached there.
This alows for a slimmer install and to use this stat when only 2 wires exist, in a retofit situation.

You can use ecobe as long as ypu have R W Y O G AND C. C usually = blue. Do not conect the blue wire to the b terminal.
Ps . Although we usually match colors to the letters corresponding to them these letters dont stand for colors. So they neec to match at both ends.
Id be happy to help you by phone if youd like.

You can use ecobe as long as ypu have R W Y O G AND C. C usually = blue. Do not conect the blue wire to the b terminal.
Ps . Although we usually match colors to the letters corresponding to them these letters dont stand for colors. So they neec to match at both ends.
Id be happy to help you by phone if youd like.

Keith,

Thanks so much for your offer. Very generous of you. Would love to take you up on it at some point. I'm not installing just yet. I tend to research/read up on this stuff for a bit before taking the plunge. I'm sure I'll want some help. :h

I see you are on hold at the moment.
I can also talk you through programing. Programing a schedule is where the savings is.

I see you are on hold at the moment.
I can also talk you through programing. Programing a schedule is where the savings is.

Awesome. Thanks again.

I did purchase the therm yesterday to take advantage of the sale price and use up some Best Buy rewards before they expire. I haven't opened it yet and won't until I 'officially' decide. Got a few weeks to return it if I need to.

The adventure ends before it starts:

Hi Jim,

Although I am not seeing the terminals, I do see that you have a Carrier Infinity furnace.
The Infinity system is one I know we are not compatible with. Even if you removed that communicating board between the thermostat the furnace, the furnace will likely have terminals labeled as ABCD which again is incompatible with out system. I'm sorry that I couldn't provide you with a better answer regarding compatibility, but unfortunately at this time we just can't connect to that system due to their proprietary terminals/controls.

-Nick

Most infinity board have both terminals.
And the stat you havev is an " edge" that uses traditional wiring. If it were an infinity only system you would have the infinity stat.
Did you send them a pic of the board in the furnace?
If you open the furnace ( the cover with the breakers in it) you will see the green abcd connector and it wont have any wires connected to it. You will see wires to a terminal strip labeled r g c w/w2 y/y2 and o.
This is where you wifi will connect.

Infinity has wi fi capabilities as well as energy tracking, diagnistics notification, custom screen back ground probably the most advanced stat available. You wont find a coupon for it though. Only available through a carier dealer.
Like me.

Infinity has wi fi capabilities as well as energy tracking, diagnistics notification, custom screen back ground probably the most advanced stat available. You wont find a coupon for it though. Only available through a carier dealer.
Like me.

An infinity thermostat? Do I even want to know what they run?

Latest posts

Back