Lowering pH with High TA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
I've got a dilemma concerning my Red Zinfandel which has just finished fermentation.

My pH is 3.7 which should be around 3.5. And my TA is too high at about 9.5 which should be about 6.5.

How can I lower my pH without making my TA worse?

Yes I do. I know I can lower the TA with it but won't that make my pH even higher?

What is the process in using calcium carbonate?

Do you need to cold stabilize with it? I thought i read somewhere that CS aided the calcium carbonate.

quick summary

for high ph and high ta - add calcium carbonate
for high ph and low ta - add ta
for low ph and high ta - add potassium carbonate

quick summary

for high ph and high ta - add calcium carbonate
for high ph and low ta - add ta
for low ph and high ta - add potassium carbonate

what about if your TA is fine but the ph is a little high ???
add tartaric acid ????

if ta is fine and ph is high, here is my suggestion. high ph can cause spoilage. if your ph is under 3.6 leave it alone. if it is over, you can hit it with ta to lower it. remember ph also goes up slightly during malo which makes it worse.
the ta you add will cause the wine to more acidic, but it will soften in time, ph will not reduce over time.

To add to what Frank siad, if you up the ta to get the ph into abtter range, yes it will be tart but you can always do mlf on it which will take away some of that tartness.

if ta is fine and ph is high, here is my suggestion. high ph can cause spoilage. if your ph is under 3.6 leave it alone. if it is over, you can hit it with ta to lower it. remember ph also goes up slightly during malo which makes it worse.
the ta you add will cause the wine to more acidic, but it will soften in time, ph will not reduce over time.

OK I understand. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back