Low S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nearmisschris

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first post and my first time making wine. I received a master vintner fruit harvest kit for Christmas, so I started making a peach wine using puree. I just finished my second racking and it has been a roller coaster. Everything was fine until my first racking. Something was wrong with my first auto siphon and it just shot air into the must and stirred up the sediment. Being the novice I am, I just racked with the racking cane and tube the kit came with(I didnt let it settle). Wine was cloudy for a week and then we got a random heat wave for 2 days and the wine became crystal clear, but there was about a quarter gallon of sediment. I ended up losing that quarter gallon so I put into 2 smaller containers. Anyways, when I checked my s.g before racking it was at .982. I have read a few posts about this and people say this isn't possible. I am sure I read the hydrometer correctly. The .990 mark was under the wine line and the wine line was on the 4th mark above the .990 mark. I checked 3 times. Same result. My question is, is .982 a possible result or did I mess something up?

Welcome to WMT!

Wow, 0.982 is a loooow number. In fact, your message made me go look at my own hydrometer, to see if 0.982 is on my scale. It is, but barely: it is the lowest SG marked on my particular (cheap, triple-scale) hydrometer.

It is not out of the question, but seems fishy. So, here is a question: What does your hydrometer read in tap water?

Yeah thats what I was worried about. I just checked again to be sure and there was a small crack in my hydrometer and it had taken in some water. Thank you for responding

Back