Low S.G. to fast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineMan8719

Junior
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am very new to this. 2nd batch new. My first batch seems to be going ok, but I don't know about my second. It's a frozen stawberry- white grape concentrate. I used 3 lbs of the frozen strawberries and 1 and 1/2 cups white grape concentrate with 2 lbs of sugar in a one gallon batch. My S.G. was 1.110 starting out and today when I transferred to my secondary my S.G. was already .990. Should it be that low already after 6 days?

Hello All,

I am very new to this. 2nd batch new. My first batch seems to be going ok, but I don't know about my second. It's a frozen stawberry- white grape concentrate. I used 3 lbs of the frozen strawberries and 1 and 1/2 cups white grape concentrate with 2 lbs of sugar in a one gallon batch. My S.G. was 1.110 starting out and today when I transferred to my secondary my S.G. was already .990. Should it be that low already after 6 days?

That is fairly fast, but certainly within reason. What yeast did you use? Are you positive that you know how to read the hydrometer?

It's fine. I just had a ferment to dry in 4 days. It's all about the yeast, the yeast nutrition, the temperature etc. The faster it goes within reason, the lower the chance of things going wrong or acetobacter taking hold.

I used red star premier classique, and I'm sure I used the hydrometer right. My first batch took 3 weeks to get down to .992. Granted my first batch started at a higher S.G.
So since I just transferred to my secondary (carboy) today, how long should I wait until I rack, since my S.G. it at .990 already?

Latest posts

Back