Low carb wine / Keto diet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the Keto diet? Looking to find some red wine with the lowest carbs and super dry to enjoy while in ketosis.
—-I’m not the one in ketosis- , just enjoying all the extra bacon being cooked lately and now have the task of finding an ideal wine for her.

That’s actually not true at all. I’m assuming you are not famliar with the ketogenic diet I speak of.
You could really argue the opposite. the higher the alcohol the lower the sugar and carbs.
A 15% bone dry cab would be more ideal than 12% bargain wine red blend.
Every little bit makes a difference with this diet. Im asking for actual wine recommendations
- HIGH abv. BONE dry.

Carbs have 4 calories per gram, alcohol has 7 calories per gram, fats 9 calories per gram. It takes less energy for your body to burn carbs than alcohol or fats. Low carb diets have been around for ever. They never work for me. As a semi-fat man who has lost 30lbs of weight a couple of times over the last 30 years, cutting down on fats and alcohol have always worked best for me. But everyone is a little different and I hae known people who have lost weight cutting carbs.

Anyway lowering your carbs in wine and raising alcohol will raise calories needed to digest it.

It’s not me — I’d rather eat bacon and drink wine than worry about living to be an old man. Its for the the Mrs. And it’s actually working very well for her.
She’s got these little “ph style” strips to tell her when in ketosis. Which she now is. And is really working amazing for her.
10lbs one week. She looks effing great.
But 2 glasses of wine kind of stalls any progress in it. So was asking for suggestions. The dryer the better.

I read that in a simplistic view - your body first burns alcohol, then sugar, then carbs,

People on keto diets often take planned cheat days where they ignore the diet restrictions. A cheat day just stalls your weight loss progress for a couple of days.

I’d say plan to enjoy wine you like best when you wish - knowing that it can stall your weight loss briefly. Plan for it and use it as a reward.

I read that in a simplistic view - your body first burns alcohol, then sugar, then carbs,

People on keto diets often take planned cheat days where they ignore the diet restrictions. A cheat day just stalls your weight loss progress for a couple of days.

I’d say plan to enjoy wine you like best when you wish - knowing that it can stall your weight loss briefly. Plan for it and use it as a reward.

That’s the kicker! Cheat days with some wine just stalls. Understood. But the less sugar and less carbs would have less effect.
So I have an excuse now to buy some high abv bone dry wine- which is what we both prefer !
I shouldn’t even have mentioned the Keto diet. I should have just asked for recommendations of legit bottles of high abv Cab that aren’t insanely priced.

More times than not, a person on the keto diet is a diabetic. I am diebetic, and on the keto diet. Some of the statements made above don't apply if yyour diabetic. When trying to control diabetes, you cut carbs, could care less about calories. In ketosis your body uses the ketones and fat for your body instead of glucose. The importance of that is, you will not get the damage to your heart, kidneys eyes and neuropathy in your extremities that you get on a glucose based diet.

If your wife is going on a keto diet as a fad diet, I would suggest the Atkins diet over the keto diet, as there are less risks. It works carbs back into the diet at a level that you can keep weight off. The side affect of the keto, is there is a period of time where your body adjusts to keto, that you feel like crap and you really question your methods. Good luck to her. Now, your question about the wine! Any wine at about 11% fermented to dryness would be fine.....at least it is for me! My sugars are often better when I check the next morning after a glass of red wine. I wish you well!

You should read "The Keto Zone Diet" by Dr. Don Colbert.. On page 168 it states, "It is just best to cut out all alcohol.
It will mess with your daily carb intake and bump you out of the Keto zone. It also gives you brain fog, food cravings and reduces your ability to resist cravings. For now just remove it from your diet."
I have been on the Keto diet for about two weeks. I have lost a little over 10 pounds . My daughter has been on it for over two months and has lost 30 + pounds. I think it is best to forgo all alcohol for the time being. It is my understanding that your body converts Alcohol to blood sugar. Your body can only convert so much at any given time and this is what causes you to become drunk if ingesting enough . that is called your blood /alcohol level. I wouldn't test your wife's diet. It is difficult enough just staying on a diet. Give my praise to you wife for trying to look good for you.

You should read "The Keto Zone Diet" by Dr. Don Colbert.. On page 168 it states, "It is just best to cut out all alcohol.
It will mess with your daily carb intake and bump you out of the Keto zone. It also gives you brain fog, food cravings and reduces your ability to resist cravings. For now just remove it from your diet."
Give my praise to you wife for trying to look good for you.
Will let her know about that book. to respond to @treesaver, no she’s not diabetic- she just wanted to do it I guess. We just have some close friends who are having success with it, so she went for it.
And trust me Donatelo- it is understood alcohol will stunt progress- so she has cut it out completely 100% every single day day..... And most nights. :)
In all seriousness tho she is very committed - and I love her for it. But 100% wine free??? That’s tough. That was the initial goal tho. But when your best friend knocks on your door on Saturday night with 2 bottles of wine lookin for a shoulder to lean on your not gonna send her home. You assume the best friend role and yenta it up all night bashing the crummy husband- and eventually all men. Lol. For them at least.
It was ruffino Chianti - probably not the best choice if indulging while in ketosis. Which led me to seek out a better option for her random cheat days. Also probably best to have 1 or 2 glasses instead of cackling in the kitchen until 1:00 am.
Real conversation the next morning
Mrs M. - Did we.....ya know.....last night?
Me- yeah...... we did.
Mrs. M- Oh...... was it good?
Me- no.....it wasn’t. :)
Had a nice laugh over coffee about that one. Took care of her with a couple Napa Cellars Cabs to be ready for the next cheat day.

Last edited:
I have ran the keto diet for years at a time. While I no longer use it because it's not optimal for sports performance I cyclical ketogenic diet would be more appropriate for most people's lifestyles if they are active and with to occasionally consume alcohol if they are disciplined enough on the carb days.

Will let her know about that book. to respond to @treesaver, no she’s not diabetic- she just wanted to do it I guess. We just have some close friends who are having success with it, so she went for it.
And trust me Donatelo- it is understood alcohol will stunt progress- so she has cut it out completely 100% every single day day..... And most nights. :)
In all seriousness tho she is very committed - and I love her for it. But 100% wine free??? That’s tough. That was the initial goal tho. But when your best friend knocks on your door on Saturday night with 2 bottles of wine lookin for a shoulder to lean on your not gonna send her home. You assume the best friend role and yenta it up all night bashing the crummy husband- and eventually all men. Lol. For them at least.
It was ruffino Chianti - probably not the best choice if indulging while in ketosis. Which led me to seek out a better option for her random cheat days. Also probably best to have 1 or 2 glasses instead of cackling in the kitchen until 1:00 am.
Real conversation the next morning
Mrs M. - Did we.....ya know.....last night?
Me- yeah...... we did.
Mrs. M- Oh...... was it good?
Me- no.....it wasn’t. :)
Had a nice laugh over coffee about that one. Took care of her with a couple Napa Cellars Cabs to be ready for the next cheat day.
I use ketogenic diets from time to time...usually stay in ketosis after having a dry red or white but...I find wine affects me a LOT more when I am in ketosis

Long post , I do not know a commercial wine that is low carb, I find it difficult to find any wine’s nutritional info.

I went from 319 to 231 in 12 or so months on a strict keto diet in 3 “sessions”.
I’m not a doctor, nor an expert but have read a lot on it. Most important I put it into practice, it works well, it is the ONLY diet I’ve ever been on where I not only didn’t but never even felt like I was a half step from doing a Warner Bros Tasmanian Devil impersonation in my refrigerator and kitchen. It is a very very appetite sating diet.
I went whole hog on it; logged everything and I mean everything I ate or drank on an app that has a huge database of foods AND can give you a macronutrients breakdown. I also combined it with “intermittent fast”, doing a strict 16 hour fast every day and eating all my food in an 8 hour window.
I drank practically every single day except for the first 2-5 days or so it takes to get into deep ketosis. I didn’t drink a lot and only drank straight liquor ( I prefer a decent Bourbon or Tequila) and I drank 2-3 oz max per day in the evening.
I tried those urine dip strips but they are influenced by how strong or dilute the urine is. I bought a blood meter that measures ketone and glucose blood levels. I seriously recommend anyone doing keto to get one. I found it extremely helpful to give me feedback on just how deep in ketosis I really was.

I found the best way to know how wine affects my ketosis was to use Aim-Tab residual sugar tests on my wines, then one can calculate how many grams of carbohydrates are in a certain volume and from that you can know whether you have room in your daily diet for 2 oz, 4 oz, etc., etc.

Of course many here may know this but some don’t judging by some comments: your body burns carbs from alcohol differently than carbs from sugars or starchs so the carbs directly from alcohol can be ignored however the actual calories from alcohol must be included if one is trying to stay in a caloric deficiency.
Alcohol will kick one out of ketosis but only during the period of time that alcohol is being metabolized. Once your body burns off the alcohol it goes back to being fueled by ketones.
I agree the very best results on keto would be to abstain from alcohol but honestly I’m not going to do that to excess.
Keto absolutely works but there are some pitfalls like not drinking enough water and consuming too much protein. It is not a high protein diet, it is ironically a high fat diet. Many folks can’t get their head around that part of it.

Keto absolutely works but there are some pitfalls like not drinking enough water and consuming too much protein. It is not a high protein diet, it is ironically a high fat diet. Many folks can’t get their head around that part of it.
Thanks for this very informative post! I have about 10% (21lbs) of my body weight on Keto and I am pleased with it so far. I wish I was as meticulous about it as you have been. I also was disappointed with the urine strips and now I know why. I think I will try the blood tester.

I have been limiting my wine drinking and only drink those that I have not backsweetened.

Latest posts

Back