Low Alcohol wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ws7293

Junior
Reaction score
Wife likes 6% alcohol wines. I have a gallon of strawberry that will finish at around 6% to 7%. Is there any short term, 1-2 years,storage problems with these low alcohol wines? Will be bottled and corked. Also is there anything special I should do in the making process?

I see that 31 people have viewed this with no response. Is it that hard of a question?

Sorry, never saw this thread. sometimes lots of those views can be people who are not even members of thois forum like people checking this site out or even internet search robots so dont go by that. Okay, seeing as how the abv is way down on these you will want to make sure you are on the upper end of sulfite additions to be safe. 2 years will be really pushing a wine with this low of an abv. so I wouldnt try going any further then that at all. Youll want to be shooting for at least 55 ppm of sulfite on thedse wines and maybe even add in some tannins when in primary, they will give the wine some extra body and help keep the wine more stable and used in proper amounts they wont change the flavor at all. I answer so many questions that most of the time my browser refreshes during doing so and I miss some posts, sorry.

WE are still doing the math.The answer is Boarderline.Where are you from?....Upper

Thanks for the info and this will not last 2 years but I was thinking of setting some back and let it age.

Upper I am from central Louisiana, and have only started this hobby/passion in the last 2 months. I have 5 gallons of Mayhaw, 5 gallons of Skeeter-pee, 1 gallon of strawberry in carboys now and plan on making 1 gallon of peach, 3 gallons of wild cherry, 1 gallon of plum and 3 gallons of elderberry in the next 2 months.

All of this and still having to buy something to drink. HA! Ha!

I see that 31 people have viewed this with no response. Is it that hard of a question?
Just saw it.
Just make sure you drink it on the fast side as it will not last as long as a higher % wine.

How long is not long? Will it last a year with no problem or will I need to drink it in 6 months?

You should be OK up to 2 years. Low % wine should be drunk faster than others.

No none really can tell yon the answer as every wine has its own faults like too little tannin or low S02 or acid to low. Unless you had all the numbers needed like PH, S02, TA so on and so on and probbly even then no one could nail it down. I would feel safe saying 1 1/2 years tops under decent cellar conditions which means pretty stable temps while in the bottle.

Again thanks to all. She will just have ti drink faster if I make a bigger batch.:br

Latest posts

Back