Low alcohol content

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxplod

Needs intervention!
Reaction score
i made a cherry wine from tart cherry consatrate and it turnd out with only 5% alcohol content did i use too less sugar maybe? i added 4 cups per the gallon of wine. and did this also befor i had a hydrometer but i tested it today after i racked it it tasted a bit dry/sour but not bad.it also looks real pretty :db

Bud

Without a hydrometer how can you know what the Alcohol percent is? Four cups per gallon should make it much stronger then 5%.

xxplod,
That's not how you measure abv. If the hydrometer is floating at that level then your gravity is only at 1.04. You still have a lot of fermenting to do. Let it continue fermenting in the carboy.

i was just going by what the hydrometer read today.

The hydrometer does not measure actual alcohol, it measures potential alcohol (aka PA). So your wine has the potential for another 5%.

To get true alcohol you need the starting sg and final sg (before sweetening).

Once you now the both specific gravities, the formula is (ssg - fsg) * factor. I use 133 but others use other factors. Examples....

ssg = 1.092, fsg = .992

(1.092 -.992) * 133 = 13.3%
(1.092 -.992) * 131 = 13.1%
(1.092 -.992) * 136 = 13.6%

Some prefer the formula (ssg - fsg) / 7.36. In my example...

(1.092 -.992) / 7.36 = 13.58%

Steve

This is a link to a calculator to give you your ABV, but again as Steve mentioned you must know your starting and ending specific gravity from reading your hydrometer.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

For my example, that calculator gave 13.13%.

BTW, there is a warning on the web-site about correcting your sg readings for temperature. It seems to state that all hydrometers are set at 59F (15C). FYI, some are set at 68F (20C).

Steve

Just went to another forum, where a different online calculator was recommended.

http://grapestompers.com/calculations.asp

For my example, it gave 13.59%. So it probably uses the divide by 7.36 method.

Which is correct? Probably none of them are perfect. And each of us may get a slightly different reading with our hydrometers.

Steve

Latest posts

Back