Lots of head space - how long is okay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitmo234

Reaction score
So I racked and pressed today into a glass carboy. I've got several inches of headspace. Ended up with about 3.5 or so gallons of wine.

I have some marbles on order for delivery tomorrow, and a smaller carboy on saturday if needed. too much to add a like-wine to it.

Is 24-48 hours with a 5 gallon carboy only up to it's shoulders going to be enough? I added about 3 liters worth of marbles to raise it some.

Using a little basement science. with an airlock in (of course) I gave the carboy a bit of a gentle shake/stir to get some of the gas in the wine flowing out, had the airlock pumping for about a minute or so, hoping I forced some of the oxygen out

That is not O2, but CO2 escaping as the wine degasses. You should be fine for a few days as the wine is saturated with CO2 which will protect it until you can rack down or add your marbles.

That is not O2, but CO2 escaping as the wine degasses. You should be fine for a few days as the wine is saturated with CO2 which will protect it until you can rack down or add your marbles.

I believe he meant he hoped the devolved CO2 would push the pre-existing O2 in the headspace out the airlock. Agree that gitmo will be fine!

Latest posts

Back