los of color in strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1

inthewind
Reaction score
havent been on for a while and have been getting pretty good at this whine making thanks to this thread and all of your help. question: anybody ever notice the loss of color with strawberry must when adding campden at the start. its just an observation fueled by the idea that there must be some way to preserve some of the color. my strawberry comes out an orangeish color is very good with plenty of body, it just seems that a little more color would add to the ambiance. thanks dave

Ive seen it hapen many of times and is why I choose to use more Ascorbic acid then suklfite in a few of my lighter fruit wines.

will i use ascorbic acid in conjunction with campden or one or the other. campden will kill wild stuff in the beginning must will ascorbic do the same and preserve, how much if so

No, ascorbic will not do that nut if you make a good starter then your yeast starin will be stronger then the wild and do its job.

so, what your saying is i could make wine without using campden to start with as long as i do a starter. which is what i do anyway? i swear i can taste the sulfer dioxide in the wine no matter how little campden i use. even when aging a year. should i try to get by without it at all?

The lost of color is temporarely. It will come back.

Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) is no replacement for
sulfite in respect of protecting the wine.

Next to that ascorbic acid will prevent oxidation in short
term and will make oxidation worse in the long term, a
research in South Africa has proved.
Read Wineboer Magazine for the details........

Luc

Latest posts

Back