lorann candy flavorings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
has anyone added lorann flavorings to wine batches? what have been your results?

I know many whom have used the LorAnn candy flavorings, with success, and the ones I sampled were fine. Just remember if it is oil based you may want to consider blending with a bit of gum arabic (aka gomme syrup, various recipes on the web) so the oil will smoothly incorporate.

I prefer the extracts sold by Olive Nation. I rarely add extracts, but I make my own extracts like: vanilla, cinnamon, toasted walnut, toasted almond, toasted pecan, roasted coffee, and a chocolate from toasted cacoa nibs (jury still out on the cacoa extract). I adore the Star Kay White brand of extracts at Olive nation, especially the chocolate, but their store brands are amazing--all I use in my kitchen. Typically once you buy from Olive Nation you get a discount code for a month and sometimes one for the full year. They also sell on eBay.

Just remember to do bench trials with the wine at the temp you will be serving, because you cannot remove the extract once it is on board.

Have all ingredients and tools assembled and within easy reach of the stove. The use of metal spoons and measuring utensils is recommended. Line with foil and lightly spray cookie sheet/jelly roll pan*. If using molds, lightly spray cavities of clean, dry candy molds with cooking spray (we recommend PAM). Insert sucker sticks. (If using two-piece plastic or aluminum molds, insert sticks after candy has been poured into molds.) If using molds, you may also want to spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray. If after pouring the candy into the molds you have excess candy, you can pour it onto the foil.

I agree with Saramc to use extracts instead. Pure extracts are the natural flavor dissolved in alcohol. I have made some (orange and lemon) using the zest in vodka and bought some (almond). As Sara cautions, do a bench test with about a drop in a half gallon to start. You will be surprised at the amount of flavor. I just like a little citrus background in some of my whites.

Latest posts

Back