Loquat Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdcl1977

Reaction score
Well I am starting a new adventure in wine making for me. I have made a few kits, some fair and some good, none great, now I am going to make my first wine from fruit. I am using Frank Keller’s recipe for Loquat wine, 1 gallon. I hope to harvest enough for a 6 gallon batch.
1, It calls for 4 lbs of fruit for 1 gal, can I freeze the ripe fruit while I wait for the other to ripen?
2, The recipe has wine yeast and Nutrient but no amounts, How much nutrient do you think?
3, I was planning on using Lalvin 71B or ICV D47, which one or other suggestions?
Side note: My Muscadine vines, I have 2, are starting to produce and hope to get enough this fall to make a gallon or two.

Jim

I don't know what a Loquat is but I know that Jack Keller's recipe are low on fruit so you might want to bump the pounds up to at least six pounds per gallon. Most fruit you can freeze until you have enough

Freezing first will help to break down the fruit and get more of the natural sugar and goodness out of it. Don't forget the pectic enzyme as well.

Debbie

Question # 1 has been answered. I will freeze the fruit.
I going to guess that 1 tsp of nutrient for the 1 gallon recipe, a total of 6 tsp for the 6 gallons.
docanddeb has sparked a new question. The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme but on some of the recipes (other fruits) I have researched they have ¼ tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme. If I try to make 6 gallons of this Loquat wine will my 3 tsp be too much?

Jim

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I am not sure. What I would do is look up some recipe's for wild plum and plum and see what they call for.

ststar - thanks. that is how I came across the problem with the amount. If I do put too much enzyme in, I wonder what the effects would be? Like I said this is my first try at a fruit wine what little I have done are 6 kits.
Jim

as far as the pectin enzyme goes what it does is break down the pectin in fruit juices. Use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon before fermantation

jtstar - thank you, you have been a lot's of help. Now all I have to do is continue to harvest the loquats and then decide which yeast to use. I plan on Lalvin 71B or ICV D47, looking at the yeast charts I think either will be ok unless someone else has a better suggestion. I want to get this one out of the way and learn from any mistakes I make before I start a muscadine this fall. I have only 2 vines but they look as if I will have plenty (fingers are crossed). Thanks jt again.
jim

Read the bottles they normally tell you how much per gallon. Lacking that P.E. is normally 1/2 tsp per gallon and Y.N. is normally 1 tsp per gallon. For yeast I'd use Lalvin K1-V1116. As stated Jack's recipes are sometimes low in fruit. Remember if you raise the amount of fruit then you will have to lower the amount of acid.

Aren't loquat a variety of kumquat?? Good luck on your first fruit(country) wine!!!

Thanks SBWs and Mike.
Mike this is from Wikipedia “Though loquats are not related botanically to kumquats, the terms originate in the same Chinese word designating "orange." The loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) is a fruit tree in the family Rosaceae, indigenous to southeastern China. It was formerly thought to be closely related to the genus Mespilus, and is still sometimes known as the Japanese medlar. It is also known as Japanese plum and as Chinese plum.
SBWs I guess I am going to have to set up a chem Lab on the work bench. This is exactly the type of information I needed. I want to get an idea of what I am attempting to before my muscadines come in this year. I do plan on some more 1 gallon recipes also before I do the muscadines. Like I said I have only made kits so far, this should be fun until I blow something up!!
Again thanks to all, this site has always been great to work with and offer help. I have printed out two winemaking manuals also that I found through this site.
Jim

Last edited:
I don't know about a Lab, but a acid test kit and pH meter make it a lot easier to get it right.

Well, my education continues, I have harvested and 80 lbs of loquats and have what appears to be about another 40 lbs to go. I have seeded 6 quarts and I am afraid to weigh them and come to the reality that I may not have enough for a 6 gallon batch. One thing that may happen is the loquat tree may come to some harm. (At least my muscadines will only 6 feet off the ground.) I am having "fun" at this!!!!

Jim

I would think that you have enough for twelve gallons already six pounds per gallon

I have prepared and frozen 15.5 quarts which weighs 19 lbs. So I need 17 more lbs. My fingers look like prunes. I have a neighbor who has a tree also and he will let me harvest from it if I need more. Well lunch is over back to slice, dice and freeze.

Last edited:
ststar - thanks. that is how I came across the problem with the amount. If I do put too much enzyme in, I wonder what the effects would be? Like I said this is my first try at a fruit wine what little I have done are 6 kits.
Jim

Youn almost can not go wrong with pectic enzyme.
Better put in more as less. It will not give any off-flavors or smell and you will not notice it at all in a finished wine no matter what amount you put in.

With fresh fruit I always use more like 1 or 2 teaspoons in stead of half a teaspoon.

Be aware that you put the pectic enzymes in first and after a day put in the yeast. Pectic enzymes do not work in an environment where yeast is active.

Read this on the enzymes and you know all:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/01/avonturen-op-het-pecto-pad-deel-2.html

If the loquats anything but resemble plums read this on pulpfermenting:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2011/02/pulpgisten-deel-4-pulpfermenting-part-4.html

Luc

LUC, thank you for the information. I feel a lot better about the pectic enzyme. I will increase the amount of enzyme when I begin as I will have increased the amount of fruit also. I have harvested a lot of fruit and have begun removing the seeds, which are large for the size of the fruit. I need 36 pounds of fruit and right now I only have 19. Thank you for the links, these will be of great help. The texture of the flesh of the Loquat appears similar to the large plums. I am allergic to plums so I know little about them. I have eaten a lot of the Loquats and have had no reactions. I have not had a chance to read all of the research, but it looks as if it will be right on track for the Loquat. Even though I have retired the wife assigned me some task for the day so I will read it after lunch. Again thank you for the help.

When loquats are ripe for the picking but you aren't ready to use them quite yet, cut the branchlet (small branch) instead of picking them individually. Place branchlet with the fruit still attached to it into a plastic supermarket bag and it'll keep like new for around a week. Avoid warm, humid conditions and sunlight for best results.

Latest posts

Back