Looking to make some cheese

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimyson

Reaction score
My LHBS is starting to carry some cheese making kits. He is getting Mad Millie Kits. I've been interested in making my own and thought this would be a good introduction. Should I stick with a kit? Any words of wisdom out there? Anything easier than others to get started with?

We typically eat Feta, Blue Cheese, Mozzarella, Cheddar, Colby, Havarti, Cream Cheese, etc.

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to the replies to your question. I am wondering if I can make cheese in tropical Costa Rica.

Starting with a kit is definitely the way to start. Plus I would start with a mozzarella, this you can eat immediately and while you are enjoying that mozzarella you just made, make a cheddar so it can start to age.

Making Cheese

Yes, cheese can be made almost anywhere.

In Carla Emery's book "Encyclopedia of Country Living" she demystifies cheese making.

Carla recounting a story about a pregnant women she met living in a tent
in a pine forest that made cheese and hung it from the trees limbs to drain.

No access to commercial Rennet?

Simply cut a few 1/4 inch pieces of dried Goat Stomach and soak in a cup of cold water. You now have Rennet.

My favorite cheese pot is a 18 Qt Nesco Roaster, easily holds 3 gallons of milk.

I purchase supplies from "cheesemaking.com"

They also have a nice recipe section.

18 Qt Nesco Roaster Resized 400.jpg

Making Cheese

A simple Mozzarella can be made in as little time as 30 minutes.

Then there are Panir / Queso Blanco or "White Cheese" made from Milk and Vinegar, or Lemon or Lime Juice and higher heating. It's sometimes labeled as Frying Cheese as it won't melt. Like Tofu it takes on the flavors of the dishes it's added to.

Then there is Queso Fresco or "Fresh Cheese" made from Milk, Butter Milk and a very small amount of Rennet. This cheese will melt.

I often make Queso Fresco with 3 gallons of milk, 1 Quart ( although 1 Cup would be enough) of Cultured Buttermilk, and Liquid rennet - about 3/4 of a 1/4 tsp measure (or 1 ml) The rest is Time and Temperature.

Not meant to age at all, eat and enjoy fresh.

Once you get past the basic cheeses, you really need to find non-homogonized milk. Raw milk is even better (just don't drink it unless you know the risks).

Rich, we buy non-homogenized and low VAT whole milk so I'm good there. Hartzler Family dairy. Still in the glass bottle.

Last edited:
Back