Looking forAdvice on a DIY blower/sprayer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading up on sprayer options for my new vineyard. 50 vines this year and probably 25 next, with room for 133.

I’m not to keen on a backpack sprayer because I’d rather mix once and be done, and I’m not getting any younger. So I was thinking maybe a small tank sprayer. I was also reading about the benefits of the blower sprayers that create a fine mist and turbulence in the canopy to get better coverage but the price for the professional towed blowers ia way out of my range and the Backpack blowers are heavy. Then I came across the DIY leaf blower - sprayer combo. Does anyone have experience with them? I was thinking an off-the-shelf tow behind sprayer with a 25-foot hose Married to a Dewalt cordless blower.

I tried a few other terms but finally searched the site for “leaf blower” (duh!) and found some more good info. I still hope some of you are using a DIY model and can weigh in.

I made something like that. A backpack sprayer hooked to a gas powered blower. It worked great but was quite a load. What you're describing should work. Might need a stronger blower. My wife uses a cordless blower. No comparison to gas and it eats batteries, have spares.

@Sage thanks. I’d really like to avoid the gas engines. I have read plenty of reviews complaining about power and battery life in the cordless blowers but Dewalt makes a 60 volt max blower (600 cfm and 125 mph). and I have a stable full of their tools so plenty of extra batteries. The cordless tools and batteries have come a long way.

If your max number of vines is 133, you may not need a big sprayer. I agree the backpack is not a good option. A small tow behind will be more than enough. I tore up two backpack sprayers last year. One just a year old and one about 20 years old.

As an in between option, I got a 3 gallon Chapin hand pump. For the early spray (not much foliage) or just a few vines, it works great. I’ll use that for my 90 vine vineyard. About $27 on Amazon. The beauty is I don’t have to do much carrying. I get it spraying and slide it on the grass as I go propping it on my leg. If I had a flat vineyard I would stick it on a small dolly. I’m short so I don’t even bend over to get the handle.

Whatever you do, I recommend a simple hand pump sprayer as a backup. I’ve had sprayers break in mid spray and had to go get the one gallon garden sprayer to finish the job.

I'm wondering if you have 12 volt supply from quad or tractor if you can either use a cheap tow behind or seat mount sprayer? (making assumptions because of the trailer tire blow out)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/quad sprayer?
You could easily make a spray boom with cheap hardware store supplies. You can design your boom specific to your row width. Sprayers from above, beside. and below for even coverage, do both sides of a row at a time and maybe forego the blower?

1654192633820.png

Something like this but your spray arms would be vertical, or even s shaped to come up beside and over your vines?

I dunno enough about spraying vines. I just did a search to make sure I'm not way out to lunch on the suggestions. I'm good at making something else what I want for cheap. Just trying to throw in options that wont break your back.. Or bank.

I'm wondering if you have 12 volt supply from quad or tractor if you can either use a cheap tow behind or seat mount sprayer? (making assumptions because of the trailer tire blow out)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/quad sprayer?
You could easily make a spray boom with cheap hardware store supplies. You can design your boom specific to your row width. Sprayers from above, beside. and below for even coverage, do both sides of a row at a time and maybe forego the blower?

View attachment 89103

Something like this but your spray arms would be vertical, or even s shaped to come up beside and over your vines?

I dunno enough about spraying vines. I just did a search to make sure I'm not way out to lunch on the suggestions. I'm good at making something else what I want for cheap. Just trying to throw in options that wont break your back.. Or bank.
I
The boom type sprayers that utilize air blast technology are very expensive. This is what the big commercial vineyards use. I’m looking at a tow behind tank with a long hose so I can manually spray. I’m thinking a 15 gallon tank would be adequate. I can always attach a 12 volt deep cycle battery. With the leaf blower attached to the spray wand it’s supposed to create the poor-mans air blast sprayer. The blower further atomizes the spray and creates a lot of turbulence that moves the leaves around… leading to better spray coverage. At least that’s how I understand it.

I can always attach a 12 volt deep cycle battery. With the leaf blower attached to the spray wand it’s supposed to create the poor-mans air blast sprayer

Like I said I have no practical experience, just throwing in the cheap options that came to mind. Seems like you're already ahead of me.

I searched the site after reading your post, but didn't see any pictures to really demonstrate what you're after. I think I'm getting it though.

Another thought is, you can extend your battery connection to the rear of the tractor and use a 7 pin trailer connector (or any QD disconnect) to hook your sprayer to the trailer and have the alternator either charge the second battery or feed power direct to your pump from the tractor battery.

If you can find a 12 volt blower, maybe even eliminate dewalt batteries by tapping into the system for that too.

Like I said I have no practical experience, just throwing in the cheap options that came to mind. Seems like you're already ahead of me.

I searched the site after reading your post, but didn't see any pictures to really demonstrate what you're after. I think I'm getting it though.

Another thought is, you can extend your battery connection to the rear of the tractor and use a 7 pin trailer connector (or any QD disconnect) to hook your sprayer to the trailer and have the alternator either charge the second battery or feed power direct to your pump from the tractor battery.

If you can find a 12 volt blower, maybe even eliminate dewalt batteries by tapping into the system for that too.
Good idea for charging the battery. I have a feeling I’ll mainly use the lawn tractor though. I think it has a six volt system. Never seen a 12 volt leaf blower. And the cord would be one more hassle. Like you I have read descriptions but not seen pictures of the setup. Some said they just strap the wand to the blower with the nozzle aiming up at the air stream. One Cut a hole on the blower tube and injected the spray right in. I’ll try the outside method and was thinking I could also fashion a Venturi out of pvc and inject the spray at the constriction… like a carburetor!

I like creating and building the things that make my hobbies easier more than the actual hobbies. Sounds like you have some good ideas. I find once you start it's a lot easier to see where you want to go with it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some pics for you.

Resurrecting an old thread here.

Has anyone tried using one of these as an air blast sprayer? This appears to be more practical size for my small vineyard.

3.7 Gal Turbo Boosted Backpack Mosquito Fogger Leaf Blower for Pest Control​

1697201419108.png

Resurrecting an old thread here.

Has anyone tried using one of these as an air blast sprayer? This appears to be more practical size for my small vineyard.

3.7 Gal Turbo Boosted Backpack Mosquito Fogger Leaf Blower for Pest Control​

View attachment 106471
Looks just like the Stihl Mister/Blower. They run between $500 and $750. I know someone who has one and I’m sure they work great. By going with a battery powered blower married to a tank sprayer I’m hoping to keep all that weight off my back!

Thanks Chuck. I replied on my phone, but it does not appear to have gone through.

Yes, the weight might be a challenge, but for my 260 vines it might be ok. I'm interested to know if the mist particle size is appropriate for a fungicide spray vs the commercial vineyard sprayers.

Thanks again.

Jim I have been looking at that also sprayer combo myself wondering the same thing. Before I spend that kind of money I want to know if it’s gonna work for fungicide’s

Looks just like the Stihl Mister/Blower. They run between $500 and $750. I know someone who has one and I’m sure they work great. By going with a battery powered blower married to a tank sprayer I’m hoping to keep all that weight off my back!
Yes weight
It is possible to use a Ryobi to create the air stream and it blows enough for 30 plants. ,,, you may need an extra battery at a hundred plants. ,,, To make it really sweet there are battery powered tank sprayers so you don’t pump.

My experience in the lab has been that the nozzle does a lot to determine particle size. Of course the smaller the nozzle (a mist nozzle) the lower the flow rate. And they plug more readily. Haven’t done a project spraying particles like sulfur.

Last edited:
Jim I have been looking at that also sprayer combo myself wondering the same thing. Before I spend that kind of money I want to know if it’s gonna work for fungicide’s
I've reached out to Stihl to see if they have any particle size data. I suspect it will depend on the viscosity of the fluid being sprayed though. I hope they have some data for the mosquito spray that can be used as a baseline comparison.

Latest posts

Back