Looking for suggestions for a Wine Cooler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uresttone

Junior
Reaction score
I'm remodeling a home and in the process of designing the kitchen, which is rather large (18x16ft). I'm looking at appliances and I'm having trouble selecting an appropriate built-in wine cooler (or chiller).

While I'm not a fan of wine coolers (putting alcohol within eyesight encourages you to drink more often), the scale of level of the kitchen might warranty such an amenity. In fact, it might be conspicuous by it's absence.

Reading online reviews has left me bewildered....sites like Amazon and Sears have just a handful of reviews per model and at least one person will complain that the product died in 12 months (regardless of manufacturer).

Consumer Reports also seems to have just started covering this appliance and doesn't have many choices.

Those of you that have built-in, under-the-counter wine coolers, which manufacturer/model did you choose and how is it in terms of performance, energy usage, noise and reliability?

Thanks!

I cannot recall the manufacturer, but mine failed within about a month of delivery. cost of returning was to high so manufacturer just sent me a new one which has been running fine ever since about three years now. I would suggest just investigate the warranty issue if you can't find review that support the item.

All appliances are junk these days. Buy the cheapest you can get with the best extended warranty you can buy. I learned the hard way with a refrigerator. I never bought extended warranties until the last few years and I usually buy them now.

If you look closely you may find there are only a few brands with different names on them with minor modifications to make them look different. I worked for a major manufacturer that just 'rebadged' their version. Freezers are the same. Not enough demand to justify multiple lines.

If you look closely you may find there are only a few brands with different names on them with minor modifications to make them look different. I worked for a major manufacturer that just 'rebadged' their version. Freezers are the same. Not enough demand to justify multiple lines.
I understand it is the same with all appliances, refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers, ovens, stoves....often a good salesperson will tell you who makes what and sometimes you can find out on the internet.
You might find one on Craig's List though no warranty.

I'm remodeling a home and in the process of designing the kitchen, which is rather large (18x16ft). I'm looking at appliances and I'm having trouble selecting an appropriate built-in wine cooler (or chiller).

While I'm not a fan of wine coolers (putting alcohol within eyesight encourages you to drink more often), the scale of level of the kitchen might warranty such an amenity. In fact, it might be conspicuous by it's absence.

Reading online reviews has left me bewildered....sites like Amazon and Sears have just a handful of reviews per model and at least one person will complain that the product died in 12 months (regardless of manufacturer).

Consumer Reports also seems to have just started covering this appliance and doesn't have many choices.

Those of you that have built-in, under-the-counter wine coolers, which manufacturer/model did you choose and how is it in terms of performance, energy usage, noise and reliability?

Thanks!

Thanks!
I have a Danby under counter wine cooler for about 15 years and it worked well except for the fact that one of the blower fans inside the unit needed replacement because it became very noisy
This unit has terrible ratings, but I guess I was lucky.
Whatever you get be aware that you need to provide enough ventilation because the back of the unit becomes quite hot.
Check if the unit is recommended to be installed under counter, can be built in, ETC. In my case I installed a row of computer exhaust fans in the gap under the counter to remove the heat.
I agree with another comment, Costco is a good place to look for, because if it brakes, the return is easy.

Also, there will be a bit of maintenance, particularly if you have a peltier-cooled model. As @JoP points out, these need a lot of airflow, provided by fans. Many models include a coarse filter to keep dust out of the heatsinks for the peltier coolers. As these filters become clogged, the airflow to the peltiers gets choked off, and cooling goes to nil. So make sure you have a way to access the back for any needed maintenance.

Any appliance rated for under the counter should have a front exhaust for air circulation. (In one side and out the other) Small does not mean it is meant for under the counter. It might just be free standing.

Latest posts

Back