Looking for some tips/tricks/recipes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys new member here! Man there is alot of knowledge in these forums! ( alot of which is over my head ) ☺ I have been making kit wines with a buddy as a hobby for the last year. Although it has been fun with nice rewards.....it has become a bit monotonous. I think we are ready to get our feet wet with a more elaborate recipe, but dont want to get in over our heads......any comments or suggestions or good beginer type recipes y'all got would be appreciated!

P.s. i should have mentioned we have acquired 30# of homegrown pears. Thinking bout trying to make a pear wine with brown sugar? or turbinado sugar?

Think the brown sugar would add a more pronounced taste (Not sure if everyone would like that taste.) Haven't ever detected a marked difference in the taste of Turbinado sugar. If you can split the batch you might try half one way and half the other and let us know what the results are. Dissolving the turbinado might take a little more time but you should be using very warm to hot water for that anyway.

Sometimes I think - just personal speculation - That the intensity of the flavors we taste in things like sugar, honey, fruit varieties, is greatly reduced through the wine making process. So your results might be very very subtle and almost un-detectable - that's why you might split the batch and perhaps even use just conventional sugar for one batch. That way if you do everything the same with them you can make a real comparison. (Oh and have someone blindfold you for the final taste test.)

Hey guys new member here! Man there is alot of knowledge in these forums! ( alot of which is over my head ) ☺ I have been making kit wines with a buddy as a hobby for the last year. Although it has been fun with nice rewards.....it has become a bit monotonous. I think we are ready to get our feet wet with a more elaborate recipe, but dont want to get in over our heads......any comments or suggestions or good beginer type recipes y'all got would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! Jack Keller has great recipes: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Latest posts

Back