Looking for reassurance...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved my Amarone to a carboy yesterday. I found the lid seal inside the fermenter. It must have fallen in when I pressed the grapes and added K-meta. It’s been sitting there since December 6th with no seal on the lid. I tasted it, seems fine. Any recommendations? Because it’s still dissipating CO2, there’s no risk of oxygen, right?

Here are my notes:

RJS Amarone Classico with wet skins and raisins, started 9/29/19, SG 1.112, FG .993, ABV: 15.36, EC-1118 yeast, skins pressed and Kmeta (1/2 tsp) added on December 6, 2019 (no clearing agents or sorbate), bulk aged in carboy with 2 oak heavy toast spirals on 12/29/2019. Also, found that the lid seal was inside the fermentor. I fear oxygenation. However, it is still dissipating CO2 so I think it’s fine.

That’s the nice thing I have found about wine. If it has gone bad, it will smell or taste bad. The pH and alcohol is high enough that common harmful microbes can’t exist in the solution.

Bottom line, if it smells and tastes good, all is well.

Latest posts

Back