Looking for native vines for conservation project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efBobby

Reaction score
many of you and others have thrown the vines away but I will give them a home and hopefully at some point be able to seed propagate them all to give back.

Edit: you wanna help out but do not want to hurt your vine? I'll take cuttings, seeds and especial seedlings!

I am currently seeking the following:

Vitis riparia - female

Vitis Labrusca - female

Vitis Vulpina - female

Vitis Cinerae - female

Vitis aestivalis - female

Vitis aestivalis - female

Vitis cinerae var helleri - female

Vitis rupestris

Vitis rupestris 'scheele'

Vitis champinii

Vitis monticola

Vitis Berlandieri

Vitis Mustangensis

Vitis palmata

Vitis Acerifolia

Vitis arizonica

Vitis Californica

Vitis Girdiana

Last edited:
@George Burgin- sure but it will not happen immediately since it will take me some time to flesh everything out and put it into words(far as the personal details and story)but for now I will focus on the projected operations.

- I want to get a decent population going but for the here and now just a male and female of each to begin seed propagation.

- I will select 3-5% to keep. some of them to fortify populations here and maybe 1-2 plants to clone and offer to people for their home gardening.

- The other 95% will be donated to the native plant society that is applicable to the species.

- The more widely available species I will rotate and prioritize based on abundance in the area. So my state for instance doesn't have many counties where rupestris is present would get them before say West Virginia where rupestris is more abundant.

- Since there isn't a grape focused nps; the nps that receives the seedlings can better discern how best to utilize them whether it be to establish/reinforce local populations or to sell to fund their own agendas and conservation efforts.

- As far as intake initially I will focus just on what I need to get the plants going and will treat them as more of a personal and project acquisition aka willing to pay for them.

- once the list is reduced and population has been established then I'd still be willing to accept vines I already have but would treat them as a project acquisition aka seeking a donation.

It's all subject to change but that's the jist of it. Here locally most people don't care much for them and see them as a hindrance to their goals so I believe there are probably plenty of others on here that may have wild vines they intend to clear for their vinyard so that way it all works out and we can put purpose to otherwise destroyed vines.

@ srcorndog

I have explored all of the surrounding woods which is why I have so many varieties.

Muscadine is something I'm definitely good on. I'm not even the word abundant even covers it!!!

rupestris runs rampant here in south central Ohio. I've thought about taking one and growing in on a TWC trellis. Prune and spray it like I do with the other vines to see what happens. I bush hog them often as they tend to be intrusive. I also cut established vines that are on trees in the woods every spring to keep them from killing the trees. I barely stay ahead on them.

Bump.

Even if you do not personally have anything but happen across something during your daily activities, break off a piece and/or snap a pic and send it to me.

Especially if you live in certain areas such as

- SoCal(socal grape called vitis girdiana, California grape, Arizona grape or canyon grape)

- The panhandle(native referred to as Spanish grape not to be confused with black Spanish/lenoir grape, it is extensively used in rootstocks and is called vitis berlandieri, naturally occurring hybrid called vitis champinii, lastly this one seems pretty tight on distribution but a aestivalis variant called vitis bourquinii)

- New england(apparently there is shy, pale leaved grape called the pilgrim grape, there is an old cultivated grape that now lives in the wild which I believe is called 'Noah grape' or vitis labruscana)

- deep southeast(there is a Florida native with intensely white backed leaves and red veins called vitis shuttleworthii).

- need to check distribution but lastly vitis palmata.

Latest posts

Back