Looking for Feedback on Speidel stainless variable volume tanks...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

What things would u like to know? The flat bottom ones are useful to move around with forklifts, but I'd reccomend a legged Varaible volume tank for areas where they are sat on the bareground (if temps get too cold). Otherwise quite usefull in the winery for small batches and refill tanks for our barrels. I woudnt recommed to store wine in them longer than a year or so due to the seal that tends to need attention once every week or so.

Cheers from Austria!

Hi,

What things would u like to know? The flat bottom ones are useful to move around with forklifts, but I'd reccomend a legged Varaible volume tank for areas where they are sat on the bareground (if temps get too cold). Otherwise quite usefull in the winery for small batches and refill tanks for our barrels. I woudnt recommed to store wine in them longer than a year or so due to the seal that tends to need attention once every week or so.

Cheers from Austria!
Cheers!

Is there some kind of float to know how much vino/must is in a unit?

Do you use them both for fermentation & bulk aging (less than 1year)?

When fermenting in say the 290L unit - how much must would you max out with so as to avoid overflow etc issues?

Cheers & Thanks!

Some of the tanks have scales on the side of the tanks, I think thw 290L and the smaller ones had them not sure, as the bigger ones (1500l and 2500L would have an attachable sightglass for fill-levels. Id take those scales with caution as they are not accurate to the liter most of the time. I used them for fermenting and bulk aging no problems there. For example I only filled one 400L tank to 350L for fermenting due to a vigourus ferment. It depends on celler temp, innocilated yeast or not used. Id recommend to fill the 290L not more then around 270L just to be save... After fementing I'd also reccomend to pump up the floating lid every week or so and once in a while to take of the lid and clean the inside where the lid sits as some wine and tartar could mold between the gaskets.

Cheers from Austria!

Some of the tanks have scales on the side of the tanks, I think thw 290L and the smaller ones had them not sure, as the bigger ones (1500l and 2500L would have an attachable sightglass for fill-levels. Id take those scales with caution as they are not accurate to the liter most of the time. I used them for fermenting and bulk aging no problems there. For example I only filled one 400L tank to 350L for fermenting due to a vigourus ferment. It depends on celler temp, innocilated yeast or not used. Id recommend to fill the 290L not more then around 270L just to be save... After fementing I'd also reccomend to pump up the floating lid every week or so and once in a while to take of the lid and clean the inside where the lid sits as some wine and tartar could mold between the gaskets.

Cheers from Austria!
For these larger vessels....what's ur methodology for sanitizing them prior to use?

Also consider 300L econo tanks from GW Kent in Windsor. I moved from the Italian VCT to them and like that the thickness of the tanks is better and they have a triclover fitting at the bottom. I have never seen the Spiedel so can not compare. Check the thickness though.

The 300L can be cleaned by turning on the edge and reaching in. I use a thick rubber mat to protect the tank from scratches and dents. I opted for furniture Dollie’s over the stands they sell.

I
For these larger vessels....what's ur methodology for sanitizing them prior to use?
I sanitize them with (Hot preferred) water rinse first, then a scub if tartar is there. Then Citric acid with SO2 wash or only acid (depends) then before usage a quick clean spary with Starsan just to be safe... and a rinse...

Cheers from Austria!
Are you fermenting in flat bottom tanks? Curious what your protocol is for transferring out for bulk aging? (Ie. Is there a lower port you connect to & are able to avoid the lees....or do you rack out via the top?) Thanks!

Latest posts

Back