• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for disgorgement tool

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pc12556

Junior
Reaction score
Just bottled up my very first batch of sparkling wine and I’m searching for a disgorgement tool to pop the crown caps. Searched all over internet and can’t seem to locate one in the u.s. any help would be great

assuming you have beer caps on bottle why won't a beer bottle opener work?[/QUOTE

It does however before I bottled the wine I did a dry run with the bottle capper I purchased just to get the feel for it. When I went to remove the cap it slipped a few times but I was able to get it off. I would hate to have that happen while putting in all this effort and getting the lees back into the bottle. As an added bonus it would be nice just to have the tool but I suppose in a pinch a long handled bottle opener would work.

My method is simple, but seems to work nicely.

About 3 weeks prior to disgorging, I stack the bottles upside down to get the lees down by the cap. I give each bottle a slight twist each day so that the lees does not settle on the sides of the bottle.

I then stack bottles upside down in a chest freezer until I see the neck freeze. The neck (the thinnest part of the bottle) always freezes first and the top of the neck (where the cap is affixed) always freezes first (the cap is a great heat conductor).

I then don an apron and goggles and open the bottles using a bottle opener and while pointing at a large bucket. The frozen ice plug shoots out, and I then simply top off with the same vintage still wine.

Like @salcoco said, keeping things cold helps. Being that the champagne is very cold, there is minimal loss of carbonation.

Just bottled up my very first batch of sparkling wine and I’m searching for a disgorgement tool to pop the crown caps. Searched all over internet and can’t seem to locate one in the u.s. any help would be great
Did you ever find a disgorgement tool? I also can't seem to find one online. I was able to try it out at a friend's house and it was much easier than using a regular bottle cap remover.

I am about to bottle my first sparkling wine so still a little way from disgorging... however this has been on my mind as well. I found this at harbor freight, which at $2 seems like it's worth a shot. It's two sided so it looks like you should be able to open a crown cap a la volee...

Latest posts

Back