looking for cuttings,,, via canada post

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo maya

Ricardo Allan Mair
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new and just startinng out here, im searching though the forums for anyone with cutting they are willing to send by mail. i have no interest buying from nurseries, i want home grown vines and to support people in this forum,and growers. please let me know what you have available 2022- 2023. and how much.

Do not know about Canadian law, but the USPS have quite a few laws and regulations about how to mail plant cuttings. To avoid moving pests and diseases in one places across long distances it could not otherwise move unless done by human transportation. These are for good reasons for this and heavy fines for people ignoring these regulations. Getting a mailed vine from someone may have a disease in it that is new to your area, and you end up infecting your area is pretty bad news. It can cost local growers tens of millions in economic damage. Simply because you did not want to buy from a local certified nursery that has been certified disease free.

Rethink this.

Definitely check up on your laws.

I know within California, even when shipped from a commercial nursery, if live plants cross county lines, the inspectors are notified and often come out to inspect for pests. As my wife and I re do the landscape at our new to us house, we’ve now had four different times where the inspectors came out. They seem to focus on live plants with leaves vs dormant plants.

In the middle Atlantic, there are laws against transporting firewood between certain areas, to prevent the transmission of insects.

@ricardo maya, your introduction to WMT has included a surprise lesson in plant shipment. I learn something new on this forum every week, often in things not directly related to winemaking.

Do not know about Canadian law, but the USPS have quite a few laws and regulations about how to mail plant cuttings. To avoid moving pests and diseases in one places across long distances it could not otherwise move unless done by human transportation. These are for good reasons for this and heavy fines for people ignoring these regulations. Getting a mailed vine from someone may have a disease in it that is new to your area, and you end up infecting your area is pretty bad news. It can cost local growers tens of millions in economic damage. Simply because you did not want to buy from a local certified nursery that has been certified disease free.

Rethink this.
yes, its very good advice, i have considered my options and feel this is the best for my situation, as i live on a remote island. there is no one within 40 -50km growing grapes commercially, and my intention is as a hobby. there are vast amounts of unknown grape varieties growing in peoples back yards close to where i live, its a rural area.. and that is something i should keep in mind .

Definitely check up on your laws.

I know within California, even when shipped from a commercial nursery, if live plants cross county lines, the inspectors are notified and often come out to inspect for pests. As my wife and I re do the landscape at our new to us house, we’ve now had four different times where the inspectors came out. They seem to focus on live plants with leaves vs dormant plants.
thanks, good advice , i dont really like commercial anything ...

In the middle Atlantic, there are laws against transporting firewood between certain areas, to prevent the transmission of insects.

@ricardo maya, your introduction to WMT has included a surprise lesson in plant shipment. I learn something new on this forum every week, often in things not directly related to winemaking.
yes ,my request is for members with in canada, im not interested to do any importing through the (CFIA) at this time.

yes ,my request is for members with in canada, im not interested to do any importing through the (CFIA) at this time.
I'm not talking about international distances -- places in the NC mountains prohibit bringing in firewood from an hour away, to avoid transmission of damaging, non-native insects.

Hi everyone, im new and just startinng out here, im searching though the forums for anyone with cutting they are willing to send by mail. i have no interest buying from nurseries, i want home grown vines and to support people in this forum,and growers. please let me know what you have available 2022- 2023. and how much.
How many plants do you want to have from cuttings?

I would suggest that you take:

Siegerrebe

Ortega

Madeleine Angevine

Reichensteiner

Marechal Foch

Regent

I’ll cut you 50 of each and store the cuttings in my shed until you come and show you how to propagate them and manage them in their youth and later on.

OK?

Klaus

Do you want any seedless grapes? If so how many? I have 3 kinds.

You can have Regent cuttings no charge un-grafted but you’ll have to pick them up anytime between now and February. You should get 300-400 cuttings. I’ll leave them unpruned except for about 50 for Ricardo. You can have the rest. I have 20 mature plants.

Klaus
Ok my wife and I will put bundled Regent canes under our carport out of the snow for you to pick up. They should be ok as cold as -21 Celsius ungrafted. I may not be here when you pick them up unless you get them in the evening e.g. 7PM any day after Tuesday. Our address is 1940 - 180th street in Surrey. Take the 176 St exit on Highway 1, turn left on 20th Avenue, then right on 180th Street, then left on 19A Avenue. We are right on the corner of 180th and 19A Avenue. If you come in the evening on Wednesday I can show you how to propagate cuttings from the canes if you've never done it. You can park in my driveway.

Klaus phone 604-376-6645 in the evening after 530PM

Ok my wife and I will put bundled Regent canes under our carport out of the snow for you to pick up. They should be ok as cold as -21 Celsius ungrafted. I may not be here when you pick them up unless you get them in the evening e.g
I commend your generosity, but if it were me, I would edit this post to say I sent you a private message. Then put all of that personal information in a discussion that only the intended member can see. Just hit the envelope and start a conversation in the top menu by your login name.

Just good internet habits.

Last edited:
I commend your generosity, but if it were me, I would edit this post to say I sent you a private message. Then put all of that personal information in a discussion that only the intended member can see. Just hit the envelope and start a conversation in the top menu by your login name.

Just good internet habbits.
thanks

Just good internet habbits.
But quoting him, thereby putting that text where he cannot get to it to delete, didn't help! 😅

Ok my wife and I will put bundled Regent canes under our carport out of the snow for you to pick up. They should be ok as cold as -21 Celsius ungrafted. I may not be here when you pick them up unless you get them in the evening e.g. 7PM any day after Tuesday. Our address is 1940 - 180th street in Surrey. Take the 176 St exit on Highway 1, turn left on 20th Avenue, then right on 180th Street, then left on 19A Avenue. We are right on the corner of 180th and 19A Avenue. If you come in the evening on Wednesday I can show you how to propagate cuttings from the canes if you've never done it. You can park in my driveway.

Klaus phone 604-376-6645 in the evening after 530PM
Most of the Regent canes are cut as shown here

Attachments

• 20221219_140938[1].jpg
    20221219_140938[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221219_140942[1].jpg
    20221219_140942[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Most of the Regent canes are cut as shown here
I've cut another 60 canes (unphotographed) and will go back outside when my hands warm up and try to get you another 30 to 40 canes. You should end up with about 200 canes that should give you 3 to 4 cuttings per can i.e. 600-800. With a 50% cuttings take you should get 300-400 Regent plants. Do you want them loose or bundled?

I've cut another 60 canes (unphotographed) and will go back outside when my hands warm up and try to get you another 30 to 40 canes. You should end up with about 200 canes that should give you 3 to 4 cuttings per can i.e. 600-800. With a 50% cuttings take you should get 300-400 Regent plants. Do you want them loose or bundled?
out of 30-40 I got 38. All of your cut canes are ready for pick up in my car port

Latest posts

Back