Looking for a sweet Riesling kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstnh1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have made a few WE kits and would like to try making a relatively sweet Riesling. My wife and I like the sweetness level in Barefoot Riesling. It's quite sweet with only 8% alcohol - pretty weak stuff. But, from what I can tell, all the WE Rieslings are dry. Does anyone have any suggestions for a kit that produces a sweet Riesling or experience in back sweetening a kit Riesling? I'm looking at the Cellar Craft Late Harvest Riesling. It's listed as a sweetness of 6. Has anyone made/tasted this? :a1

Last edited:
We have made a green apple Riesling from island mist. It has been everyones favorite. We are now on our second batch. We have added sugar during fermentation to raise up the alcohol content. This would be a wine she would enjoy

The Island Mist wine is not a true riesling, it is an apple flavoured wine, riesling just happens to be the base.

I would expect the Late Harvest wine to be quite a bit sweeter than the Barefoot Riesling.

RJS Cellar Classic German Riesling Auslese. It will be about 12% alcohol, but it comes with a Suss Reserve pack to sweeten it, and should be similar to the Barefoot Riesling.

Vineco Cheeky Monkey California Riesling. Similar to the Cellar Classic. I would expect it to be a bit lower quality and a bit less expensive. Might not be readily available in the USA.

Steve

WE Yakima Riesling would also do
Don't see a Yakima Riesling on the WE site. Is this the same as Columbia Valley?

Regardless I didn't check the Winexpert site because of bstnh1's comment in the original post ("from what I can tell, all the WE Rieslings are dry"). There are actually two off-dry rieslings ahown at the WE web-site.

Selection Estate Washington Columbia Valley Riesling - probably similar or better quality to Cellar Classic that I mentioned earlier
World Vineyard Washington Riesling - probably similar quality to Cheeky Monkey in my previous post

Cellar Craft has a Showcase Yakima Valley Riesling. It should be equivalent to the Selection Estate or Cellar Classic.

Note I haven't made any of these kits. I am comparing based on my expectations of the brand.

Steve

Ya, its the same. sorry don't make many kits(2) but I knew that was available. I Like the Chelan Riesling(upper Columbia Valley), but I use grapes.

Cellar Craft makes a Showcase Yakima Valley Riesling. It has a suisse reserve pack so its off dry but not what I would call "sweet". Fantastic kit. Definitely produces a nice wine. I will make this one again very soon.

Why not pick a Riesling kit that you are comfortable with from the recommendations? Then take a sg reading of the commercial wine you like and back sweeten the kit just a tad bit to match it.

I have made the ice wine Riesling by wine expert. already on my second kit. Delicious and sweet. I think it has won some awards? joe

Latest posts

Back