Other Looking for a suggestions for a good Amarone wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
Looking to try my first Amarone wine kit and looking for suggestions which may be the best kit. I had my eye on the

Wine Expert Private Reserve Veneto Amarone Wine Kit​

But open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Hi, we had Barbera that started turning into raisins so we decided to make Amarone style. I started with high brix of 36 and used BM 4x4 recommended for Amarone. It worked fine until it got stuck at brix of 14 and then liquid is thick like a syrup. Any ideas or recommendations on what to do next?
Thanks Sana

I prefer the Italian version as it has the wet skins vs the dried one if I recall
The one with the dried skins is the premium version. Look at their RQ kits, they all come with the dried skins. The EP Amarone with the dried skins comes with a large pack of raisins which is kind of key to making a proper Amarone.

@sanadh , I am not an expert. However, 36 seems very high. How are you measuring? Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer?
I've heard of Barbera going as high as 36 Brix when rosined and drying out. Sorry, I don't know what the winery did to get it dry. It was powerful though. I'd suggest the reliable EC 1118 to try to restart.

Hi, we had Barbera that started turning into raisins so we decided to make Amarone style. I started with high brix of 36 and used BM 4x4 recommended for Amarone. It worked fine until it got stuck at brix of 14 and then liquid is thick like a syrup. Any ideas or recommendations on what to do next?
Thanks Sana
BM4x4 is rated for 15% ABV -- starting at 36 brix, you've probably hit the yeast's maximum alcohol tolerance. I couldn't find an SG for 36 brix -- charts I found top out at ~30 brix, so I extrapolated and 36 brix appears to be SG 1.158. If that ferments down to 1.000, you've got 21.5% ABV. I don't know of any yeast that will go that high.

I suggest cutting it with a low brix juice, and inoculate with an over overnight starter of EC-1118. If you don't (or can't) cut the must with a lower brix juice, EC-1118 will bring the SG/Brix down, but you'll still have a sweet wine.

BM4x4 is rated for 15% ABV -- starting at 36 brix, you've probably hit the yeast's maximum alcohol tolerance. I couldn't find an SG for 36 brix -- charts I found top out at ~30 brix, so I extrapolated and 36 brix appears to be SG 1.158. If that ferments down to 1.000, you've got 21.5% ABV. I don't know of any yeast that will go that high.

I suggest cutting it with a low brix juice, and inoculate with an over overnight starter of EC-1118. If you don't (or can't) cut the must with a lower brix juice, EC-1118 will bring the SG/Brix down, but you'll still have a sweet wine.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to find the yeast locally and probably will add water as the ph is still very low.

Latest posts

Back