Looking for a good, simple peach wine recipe...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaudun

Novice wine maker, veteran wine drinker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to start a 5 gallon batch of peach wine. I'm using Lavlin EC-1118 yeast.

Any pointers, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated. 😊

Thanks!

I would use 71b it retains aromatics and would be best for a fruit wine. also use bentonite in the must as it will clear proteins during fermentation and aid immensely in clearing post fermentation.

I would use 71b it retains aromatics and would be best for a fruit wine. also use bentonite in the must as it will clear proteins during fermentation and aid immensely in clearing post fermentation.
Thanks @salcoco, but I've got a bunch of LC-1118 already. I will keep your suggestion in mind when I need to buy more yeast, though.

All the best with that. Thanks for posting the link as that was an interesting read. I’d forgotten about the sugar / juice extraction technique. I used it once approx five years back on a rhubarb wine. which also reminds me that I need to sample a bottle. They do say that rhubarb hits its potential after five years. And I must also get my hands on some peaches. It would make an excellent mid summer wine next year. Good post.

I did 5 gal of peach wine two years ago. I almost poured it out, but it came in well after 1.5 years. I find it to be a better desert wine, doesn't seem to pair well with any food.

Interesting article. I generally like Ashley's posts (her pickled pepper recipe is simple and wonderful). I've wanted to try peach wine, this looks like a fairly straight-forward process. I've heard lots of bad about fermenting peaches (H2S problems specifically). I'll be watching this thread to see your progress - please keep us posted.

I wonder if Costco has peaches right now (frozen?)...

Interesting article. I generally like Ashley's posts (her pickled pepper recipe is simple and wonderful). I've wanted to try peach wine, this looks like a fairly straight-forward process. I've heard lots of bad about fermenting peaches (H2S problems specifically). I'll be watching this thread to see your progress - please keep us posted.

I wonder if Costco has peaches right now (frozen?)...
This is only my second foray into the world of winemaking. I did a 1 gallon test run first, with the same recipe. It's still in my secondary fermenter, but going could so far.

I actually got a ton of peaches this summer, cut and pitted them and stuck them in the freezer. I've used about 35 lbs of them, so far, and still have about 60 or 70 lbs left 😆

SG was 1.104 when I started. I checked it yesterday and it was down to 1.100, as near as I could tell. I had to keep swirling my hydrometer around because bubbles were forming so fast.

I'll update progress here, as it occurs.

Cheers! 🍷

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_205209.jpg
    IMG_20200816_205209.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
How much Bentonite for 5 gallons?.........................Dizzy Izzy

4 tsp in 1 1/3 cup water. i just add the 4 tsp directly to the juice in a small stream while stirring. it helps removing the protien for the juice/wine and helps in clearing later. also good for pear wine

4 tsp in 1 1/3 cup water. i just add the 4 tsp directly to the juice in a small stream while stirring. it helps removing the protien for the juice/wine and helps in clearing later. also good for pear wine
Thankyou for that. I will put that note in my recipe for next season.............................................Dizzy Izzy

Latest posts

Back