LONG time on yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_lapaglia

Reaction score
on Jan 9 2009 I started 3 gallons of apple cider with an SG of 1.54 on some Safe-ale 04 yeast.
It finished on 2/18/09 with an FG of 1.002, which is where I figured it would stop. Pretty common for that yeast.

2.19.09 I got sick. nigh on to death as the saying goes.
10.25.25 Long story short I am now well or at least well enough to start doing this again. The cider/wine sat on the yeast for the whole time I was ill. My son kept the airlock properly filled. It looks clear and smells ok. It is still at 1.002 FG. So the question is. Do I rack it off the yeast and consider bottling it or just turn it into vinegar since it sat on the yeast while I was ill?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Anyone left it on the yeast this long (22 months) and been ok?

thanks.

Although it has been a long time on the yeast, it may still be allright. Some chardonnay producers do a "sur lie" fermentation which gives the wine extended exposure to the yeast...some believe this imparts desirable flavors into the wine. You won't have vinegar unless the juice was exposed to acetobacters...they are weaker cells and your wine yeast would've taken them over. Give it a taste, if it's drinkable...bottle it. Remember, It won't get any better that it is right now.

Mark

This is how new and better taste are discovered. Taste it and see what it does for you.
Hope your recovery is long lived.

Although it has been a long time on the yeast, it may still be allright. Some chardonnay producers do a "sur lie" fermentation which gives the wine extended exposure to the yeast...some believe this imparts desirable flavors into the wine. You won't have vinegar unless the juice was exposed to acetobacters...they are weaker cells and your wine yeast would've taken them over. Give it a taste, if it's drinkable...bottle it. Remember, It won't get any better that it is right now.

Mark

Sur lie normally involves stirring of the lees, known as batonnage.

That being said, if it's drinkable, bottle it and celebrate your good fortune.

Agreed - taste and see. Sometimes extended periods of time on the gross lees can affect the flavor.

Sur lie and battonage are the same concept but a bit of a different technique - from what i have read battonage you stir the fine lees up once a week until you get the desired taste - sur lie aging is aging on the fine lees and stirring once a month until you get the desired taste.

Both methods are not performed on the gross lees.

Again - this is just what i have read :h

Back