Long time listener ... first time caller!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shurt1073

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes .. I've been watching this website for a pretty long time but didn't join because I didn't have much of anything to contribute but NOW I need help with a few questions. I'll need to find the right forum to ask because going through the old posts I don't see exactly what I'm looking for.

I've been making the fruit wine kits for 6 yrs ... pretty basic but now I've retired and want to step up my game.

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your retirement!

Yes it’s nice at times not sure of what’s on the schedule today🤔 to work , or to play , think?? It’s confusing 👀

I've been making the fruit wine kits for 6 yrs ... pretty basic but now I've retired and want to step up my game.
What do you want to make? Or is that the problem, not having any firm ideas?

This might be a good time to make experimental 1 gallon batches, to help you figure out what you want (or maybe what you don't want) to do.

What do you want to make? Or is that the problem, not having any firm ideas?

This might be a good time to make experimental 1 gallon batches, to help you figure out what you want (or maybe what you don't want) to do.
I want to make a tolerable white wine for family / friends. I have not found a white wine I really like and I've been to California and Michigan wineries. Last Oct we hit 15 wineries in 5 days! lol I figure just because I don't like a white wine doesn't mean I can't make a white someone else could drink. Plus .. I like making wine but I need to be better at it and pay attention to detail. I think better notes will help me instead of winging it. I have family that like the dryer reds so thats also on my list.

I want to make a tolerable white wine for family / friends. I have not found a white wine I really like and I've been to California and Michigan wineries. Last Oct we hit 15 wineries in 5 days! lol I figure just because I don't like a white wine doesn't mean I can't make a white someone else could drink. Plus .. I like making wine but I need to be better at it and pay attention to detail. I think better notes will help me instead of winging it. I have family that like the dryer reds so thats also on my list.
At this point, play to your strength, which is kit wines.

Go to labelpeelers.com and look at the Finer Wines Kits. I have made the Chardonnay and just bottled the Sauvignon Blanc, and my son made the Riesling. All came out very good. Follow the instructions, except bulk age longer. I made the Tavola Barbera last year and just bottled the Tavola Pinot Noir (no skin packs). These are lighter reds made to fill a niche in my cellar.

If you want a heavy red, look at the Forte kits. I have a triple batch of Super Tuscan in barrel now, due to bottle in a month, and made a "Rhone" blend (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot) that is also in barrel. I'm very pleased with both.

If you want to expand into grapes and juice, start looking for sources in the spring. Juice is like kits without reconstitution of concentrate. Grapes are a large commitment. Research before doing.

At this point, play to your strength, which is kit wines.

Go to labelpeelers.com and look at the Finer Wines Kits. I have made the Chardonnay and just bottled the Sauvignon Blanc, and my son made the Riesling. All came out very good. Follow the instructions, except bulk age longer. I made the Tavola Barbera last year and just bottled the Tavola Pinot Noir (no skin packs). These are lighter reds made to fill a niche in my cellar.

If you want a heavy red, look at the Forte kits. I have a triple batch of Super Tuscan in barrel now, due to bottle in a month, and made a "Rhone" blend (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot) that is also in barrel. I'm very pleased with both.

If you want to expand into grapes and juice, start looking for sources in the spring. Juice is like kits without reconstitution of concentrate. Grapes are a large commitment. Research before doing.
I have been looking at the FWK for a few months but got a deal on two Twisted Misted hard lemonade kits so I started them last week. I had to many things going on at once and probably should not have started those two wine cooler type kits but I thought at the price it was hard to pass up. Plus, I googled the instructions and it was another kit that took 30 days to complete although I'm finding out now this 30 day window is a rush.

To complicate my wine making, we were lucky enough to retire at 55 yr old and the past four winters we spend in warmer weather than Indiana! I have considered the FWK in Nov and racking to glass carboy in Dec after Christmas before we leave. Be home first week of March so it would sit around 9-10 weeks. I don't know ....

To complicate my wine making, we were lucky enough to retire at 55 yr old and the past four winters we spend in warmer weather than Indiana! I have considered the FWK in Nov and racking to glass carboy in Dec after Christmas before we leave. Be home first week of March so it would sit around 9-10 weeks. I don't know ....
Use vented bungs and ensure they are well seated before you leave.

This might not be the time or place to ask, but instead of a vented bung would a headspace eliminator work? I bought a AIO wine pump this week. I want to always have one wine in the process and thought this equipment might be a good addition. It also allows me to filter in the end.

This might not be the time or place to ask, but instead of a vented bung would a headspace eliminator work? I bought a AIO wine pump this week. I want to always have one wine in the process and thought this equipment might be a good addition. It also allows me to filter in the end.
Folks use it and like it. However, if you're gone for a while, you can't check on it to ensure there is no failure. Go with minimal headspace and seat the bung firmly, and your wine should be safe.

I’m not a white wine drinker, except for Riesling or Viognier, especially when paired with fish. I could eat fish 7 days a week, in which case I would not be a red wine drinker. Point is, think of a favorite dish of yours that begs for a white wine, then go from there.

Latest posts

Back