Long term bottle storage without massive wine racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For simple, non elegant storage, I put them in the cases the bottles came in. I store them upside down. I have roughly 25 cases stacked 3 high this way. This is my storage for stuff I know I don't want to drink for a while. Then they move onto a Seville rack or the 50 bottle wine cooler.

Got to say that I'm loving the Seville racks. Gonna order a couple more.

7e1806204ba6060-2688.jpg

I have a Seville rack. They work best with bordeaux bottles. For insurance, you can use rubberized shelf liner between the rows of glass to make sure the second or third row doesn't slide.

gripit.jpg

That was my test drive stacking. The day after I took that pix, I inserted thin bubble wrap between each row. Everything is snug and tight now. I've even got my 1.5 liter bottles on the bottom row stacked with bubble wrap in between. I'm planning to bottle a 6 gal batch of Blue Blood and a 5 gal batch of the WE Viognier this weekend, I'm going to need more rack space.

I work in a machine shop, and the metals (in-process) are stored on these exact racks, at a 6' height. They don't use the ties to the wall however, maybe I will ask about that, but the weight is not the same either (mixed 50% aluminum and other metals). I'll assume that the liquid cache is heavier and prone to damage, but I wouldn't want to knock a part with .0005" tolerances on the floor either!

I use Nomacorc corks and have about 60 cases stored upright for long term storage. Some cases are stacked 5-6 high in my cellar.
I use Nomacorcs as well. I would inquire of the company as to their recommendations relative to upright vs. side storage. I think their specs on O2 intake are based on side storage.
While I realize they are manufactured, and am aware of the materials used, because they are a natural material, I would still store them on their side.
Which ones are you using?

With those Seville racks I suspect that they have adjustable feet that could be set higher in front avoiding any tipping and of course load from the bottom up keeping your multi-layer rows on the lower shelves.

And remember NEVER argue with the laws of physics - you will lose every time.

Oh and if you live in California or any other local with earthquakes are a threat - secure to a solid wall.

Crying over spilled wine IS permitted.

I don't believe that the feet are adjustable. These ARE quality racks though, if they are the same thing we have at work, and I believe it is.

You could also use wood shims under the front feet or those stick on felt feet, pretty much anything to give it just a little backward lean, not enough for bottles to slide back, probably 1/4 to 1.2 inch at most.

Latest posts

Back