Long term bottle storage without massive wine racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I'm currently in an apartment. I have wine racks to store around 80-100 bottles, but with my winemaking taking off and my personal wine collection sizable on it's own. I'm looking for a way to store wines in some type of wine case. (I have already bottled two six batches and expect up to 7-8 more six gallon batches in the next 9 months)

Given my reds need at least 18 months and I have a wine storage facility near by. I figured maybe I store two cases of every batch there until I'm ready to take one case home. That said, I probably need some type of container for a case of wine to put in there. (they store by the case)

What exactly do you guys use when you're not lucky enough to have a massive bottle storage rack?

I looked at wooden wine crates, but they seem to be $12+ another $10 for shipping each for only a six bottle crate. Given each batch will produce two cases, that's almost $100 per batch for crates. That substantially increases the cost of each batch. :(

Standard corrugated boxes I get from my local wine shop do not really work for storing wine on their side for cork protection.

Last edited:
Many of us use the Seville Wine Racks. Great price, you can build it high or wide. They say it only holds 168 bottles but you can easily and safely put 210 bottles on it without any problems. I have 3 of them myself.

71qy7BKHedL._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say DRINK FASTER, have small get togethers with friends and supply the wine, hell thats the best part of wine making. Most home winemakers give away a LOT of wine. Don't worry so much about storing wine on its side. Darn near every where that sells wine stores it standing up, at times for years. Most wine, especial from kits or juice buckets are ment to be drank in a few years, thay will go down hill after time.:ib

How high can you safely stack them? Thanks...

haha
Great question. I actually have mine side by side. I haven't had to stack them yet. I am guessing only 2-3 high at most, as they are flimsy. I just picked these up because they are cheap and I didn't want my wine just laying on the floor. As my rack opens up space, I move the crate bottles into those spots.

With that said, if I need to stack high(er) I would look at getting the same thing in a sturdier plastic. I have seen them too, I am sure they run more. I am talking about the ones I believe grocery stores receive gallons of milk in.

I have a lot of wine stored under the beds in plastic storage bins...you can stash a lot of wine under there. I also use the cardboard wine boxes form the store and I use that fiber tape and just wrap them up nice and tight, stored on their side....PITA to get into, but that is actually helping keep the wine safe from myself!

Just met a guy who leases an climate controlled mini-warehouse space to store his wines. We are supposed to go look at it this week. He saw a wine rack I made out of goat panel fencing. Think he said the unit was 10x10x 8-6 tall....that'll hold a lot of wine.

Many of us use the Seville Wine Racks. Great price, you can build it high or wide. They say it only holds 168 bottles but you can easily and safely put 210 bottles on it without any problems. I have 3 of them myself.

71qy7BKHedL._SL1024_.jpg

Would that be safe on carpet or would that destabilize it? I suppose I could just keep the volume low enough that it doesn't become unstable.

I just talked to the wine storage guy near my work. He said they use double-walled 12 cell corrugate storage boxes (strong enough to store wine on it's side) and he could sell them to me at $6.50 each. (a lot cheaper than ULINE)

In the long run, it might be better to just store them there. They keep the at proper storage temperature and they only charge $2/month per case for storage providing they aren't mixed cases. For reasons I don't know, they charge an extra $4/month for mixed cases. Case pulls are $2 while bottle pulls are $3. I can deal with that. They will even pick up and deliver for $5 a case with $40 minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seville comes with wall anchors that will hold it to the wall. You can also use two plastic carpet protectors on the front poles only. That effectively tips the rack backwards against the wall. I also purposely place my bottles towards the back of the rack putting most of the weight on the rear. The feet are also adjustable. Screw them in or out as needed to raise or lower the rack. Lots of options with this rack including the fact that it looks nice.

If you have the space, you can always put two together back to back and tie with zip ties. They won't go anywhere

Natural cork needs the bottle to be kept on its side in order to keep the cork from drying out.

With synthetic corks, like Nomacorc, the bottles can be stored upright. So, you can keep the full bottles in the original boxes, and stack them on top of each other. I have no idea how many cases of bottles you can store on top of each other.

I use Nomacorc corks and have about 60 cases stored upright for long term storage. Some cases are stacked 5-6 high in my cellar.

Last edited:
Tony R
Why do the wines made from kits go downhill after a couple of years?

Tony R
Why do the wines made from kits go downhill after a couple of years?

Most wines (including kits) go downhill after a few years. Most wines are intended to be consumed within one year, and the rest within 5 years. Only a select few are intended to be aged for a long time.

Expect high end red kits peak in the 2-5 year range.

Most wines (including kits) go downhill after a few years. Most wines are intended to be consumed within one year, and the rest within 5 years. Only a select few are intended to be aged for a long time.

Expect high end red kits peak in the 2-5 year range.

So what is it with the select few that allows them to age for a long time? I'm guessing the temp and humidity of the storage area would be of importance. Premiums corks I imagine. What about the wine itself?

I agree with Mike, those Seville racks are awesome. I only had space for 3 racks side by side, so I ordered a 4 th rack & put a third of that rack on top of the other 3. Worked like a charm. They tilt back slightly & are screwed heavily to the wall. I spaced out the racks because I'm going to add oak 1X4 to cover the chrome legs & oak plywood to cover ends & top. Roy

image.jpeg

Back