Long Nitrile gloves

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have tools you can sanitize to do the punch down, your hands are food safe and good enough. Why not just use clean hands?

You are making wine.

Not doing major surgery or building satellites. Which uses disposable gloves that do not need to be certified to not impart off flavors or chemicals into your wine. :)

We use Nitrile gloves all the time in EMS without much of a problem. They are especially good because of their tensile strength, and some come with a bit of a texture for grip. We use Nitrile predominantly, though, because most people do not have allergies to them unlike their Latex counterparts (providers and patients alike).

You're not going to be in the must for a long time I imagine and so a good rinse will take care of most anything on them once you're done. Prior to using them again I would spray them with StarSan or a sulfite solution, much like you're already doing with your hands/arms. That would reduce contact time and potentially faster degradation than if sprayed then stored with the solutions on them. At some point those chemicals are going to degrade the Nitrile although I'm not sure how long it will take. We don't use our items past one patient at a time so I don't have any experience with long term use. I looked at the website to see the mil thickness but I couldn't find it. We use 5-6 mil thickness but these look like they're quite a bit thicker, meaning more use/protection/durability.

I'm curious... why not use a masher of some kind?

We use Nitrile gloves all the time in EMS without much of a problem. They are especially good because of their tensile strength, and some come with a bit of a texture for grip. We use Nitrile predominantly, though, because most people do not have allergies to them unlike their Latex counterparts (providers and patients alike).

You're not going to be in the must for a long time I imagine and so a good rinse will take care of most anything on them once you're done. Prior to using them again I would spray them with StarSan or a sulfite solution, much like you're already doing with your hands/arms. That would reduce contact time and potentially faster degradation than if sprayed then stored with the solutions on them. At some point those chemicals are going to degrade the Nitrile although I'm not sure how long it will take. We don't use our items past one patient at a time so I don't have any experience with long term use. I looked at the website to see the mil thickness but I couldn't find it. We use 5-6 mil thickness but these look like they're quite a bit thicker, meaning more use/protection/durability.

I'm curious... why not use a masher of some kind?
I prefer to use gloves when handling /making "all things wine". I use the grade they use in restaurants around food. I do spray them Star San and toss when done.

Back