Log book recommendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess I am old fashioned, I prefer to keep a log book rather than electronic records, and since I have started my winemaking journey in the last couple months I don't need anything elaborate. I also prefer journal sized rather than the larger 8 x 11 sheets. I am wondering if there are any recommendations.

I just use a "Mead Composition" book. After you do it a couple of times you'll get into the habit of what you want to record. You can always print out and tape a blank form at the front to help until you have it all down. I have written the basic ABV results with each ,005 increment is the ranges I normally use. (Starting SG of 1.070 finishing at .995 = ABV of 9.84) Don't over think it but certainly look up a log on line for idea. At first I used to make lots of notes. The sample I pasted below is NOT one of those. Do what works for you. I started with a 3 ring binder and printed out log forms. Each time I found that somehow the form didn't fit the batch I was doing in some way so eventually I moved to the composition book.

On mine As things progress I can flip from the front page to use the back page to keep more notes on what's happening. This is the front page of one of my first wines in this book. (And if you are curious about the (Over) note. On the other side it says 2/7/18 SG .991 pH 3.05 Added 1/2 oz (weight Calcium Carbonate.) ABV 14%

Log page2.JPG

I use a 9X9. Seems to just work for me. More space on the crowded counter. My notes ar3 much more free form than you or @Scooter68 has. I’ll have to work on that.

I did the Mead Composition books for the first few seasons and was good for keeping track while things were happening. However, you loose the historical records, comparing the different vintages, reminders etc. if you do use paper, I would also record the particulars on a google sheet as well.

B929C3A5-4D76-4235-B2A7-CBDB4FCF3792.jpeg

I did the Mead Composition books for the first few seasons and was good for keeping track while things were happening. However, you loose the historical records, comparing the different vintages, reminders etc. if you do use paper, I would also record the particulars on a google sheet as well.

View attachment 50537
LOL! That's way more than I need! I thought I did well to harvest 21 pounds of grapes, 200 pounds of apples, 6 pounds of gooseberry etc!

Although on second thought, there is a lot of information on that chart.

Remember which ever way you go.... don't forget to update. Truth be told my notes are missing a few things. Working from a form or on a computer based log helps you remember all the things to take note of. It all works out. The key is having notes helps when you want to repeat a success story or avoid an error.
As you continue your growth in the hobby and on this forum you will see from time-to-time folks asking for help. Unfortunately all to often the some have forgotten to take good notes and can't answer questions that would permit folks on here to help them. Then there are the real fun new folks who start without the most basic equipment figuring they didn't have those things centuries ago so … Sadly many of them stop posting on here, perhaps having given up because nobody could help them or they became disillusioned about it.

I'm happy with my method but one advantage to a computer form is that you could probably extract the data and paste in into a note on here if you wanted to do so. OR you could share it with a friend who is interested in the same wine that you made and were happy with.

What ever you chose, as long as you use it consistently, that's what makes the difference.

I have made a pretty good business, career and income over the years in IT.

But for wine making I also prefer a paper log. It somehow seems appropriate for this ancient art. ;)

I have two personal log books (the governments requires other, additional record keeping that I will not get into). One for my vineyards and one for the cellar. The vineyard book is much more used, with far more detailed notes than my cellar book. Because basically, once I harvest, crush, sulfate, and pitch yeast, except for proper racking, I pretty much let the wine "be". :)

I know not everyone has a vineyard to try to make the best possible pre-cellar grape, but that concept works for me. :)

However, that does not mean I can or should ignore my wine for extended periods. Which I did last year (personal issues impacted my wine time). Results were not good. :( Wine is like any relationship -- it needs attention to keep it healthy.

Last edited:
I prefer electronic because I am lazy. The spreadsheet does some of the math for me.

upload_2018-8-29_8-14-54.png

H

WOW ! That is some detailed log there BigH.

Since I do most of my wine making at our empty house across our field, I just keep a log book there. IF I had a PC there I could do it electronically there at the house. But there is no internet connection so I generally don't have a PC over there.

This is the image of the "Wine Making House" I use on my wine labels (Yes car buff, that's a 25 Ford stake truck on the carport)

HeffnerHaus Fog edges.jpg

But there is no internet connection

Not even wireless?

If not, what a pity.... or maybe, on second thought.... sweet! :db

This is the image of the "Wine Making House" I use on my wine labels (Yes car buff, that's a 25 Ford stake truck on the carport)

That is your house? And the Ford is there now?

If so......... Very jealous about the Ford*.

* The house is nice too. But.... that Ford.:try

I like to do both, personally. Electronic log books make life easy, especially with the math, but I like having my notebook around because a.) There's a backup in case my computer crashes and b.) I don't have to run back and forth making notes, especially during fermentation.

It is interesting what everyone records in their cellar log book. So I took the time to scan in one page from mine. It is a bit hard to read, even though I tried to adjust the image a bit. I for example, besides the normal must measurements at harvest, include volumes harvested, weight to volume estimate, the starting and ending temperature during harvest and graph the Brix and pH measurements leading up to harvest. The "P" stands for "property". I have four vineyards on different properties.

Example Cellar Log Book Page.png

P1280036.JPG P1280036.JPG P1280037.JPG PB020008.JPG
Not even wireless? If not, what a pity.... or maybe, on second thought.... sweet! :db

That is your house? And the Ford is there now?
If so......... Very jealous about the Ford*.
The house is ours (Formerly In-Laws home. Now as shared ownership with Brother-in-law) We split off part of the property and we live in a house about 400 feet away. (Too far for the wifi to work)
The Ford and the house are sort a landmark. People occasionally ask to take pictures then then inevitable question or request, "If you ever want to sell it..." That's a long list of people. There used to be a Tall T coupe in the basement and a little pickup. Unfortunately somebody "Stole" them for $4,000 from my mother-in-law a few years before she passed. I don't ever want to meet that person...

The kitchen and basement are my winery workshop and aging cellar.

And idea of how old...The septic tank is a crumbling concrete box without baffles and the drain field is a pit full of rocks next to the tank. System is dead and we are getting ready to have it replaced. House is 1940s or older at least. The truck, you can still crank the engine by hand with crank. (No Plugs in it)

BALATON - MAN that's way too much work for me...wow! Kudos to you.

Last edited:
Back