Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon timetable

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerobrew

Junior
Reaction score
I have a decent amount of home brew experience and recently started with wine. Made one average kit to get the basics down and now ready to start with quality kits. I would rather spend a little more to get an excellent product. I choose Winexpert Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon with Grape Skins for my first complete wine which I will age. I have done a bunch of research but was wondering if anyone has experience with this kit or similar on timelines for each step.

My current plan (checking SG as needed also)
Step 1) primary fermentation 10-14 days under the impression it is better to go longer to let the yeast cleanup. Any issue with the grape skins being in this long?
Step 2) secondary 14 days then rack to carboy
Step 3) stabilize clarify degas 14 days then rack to carboy
Step 4) bulk age 5 months and bottle

Does this sound like a good plan? I don't want to mess up a good kit. Also I purchased an oak spiral should that stay in during the aging? The package says 6 weeks is longer ok?

I understand a lot is subjective but looking for a good place to start and end up with a quality wine. Thanks to everyone for their help.

This is one of my favorites I have made 4 of them, 5 months age is about right, and be prepared this will be one of the best red wines you will ever taste

Latest posts

Back