Lodi lab results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that a professional lab should do the final numbers, especially if one is going to sell their wine.

But since I have 7 varietals, in process testing with my limited lab setup between racking*, for the numbers that matter, is more cost effective for me. ;)

* $40 per test, per wine, per racking (done every 4 to 6 weeks) would get really expensive..... ouch.

Last edited:
I agree that a professional lab should do the final numbers, especially if one is going to sell their wine.

But since I have 7 varietals, in process testing with my limited lab setup between racking*, for the numbers that matter, is more cost effective for me. ;)

* $40 per test, per wine, per racking (done every 4 to 6 weeks) would get really expensive..... ouch.
Oh, I won’t test this batch again I’ll keep track of my SO2 additions going forward, the other numbers will hopefully stay the same.

The SO2 seems a little on the high side. Does that represent the normal addition, or did you add SO2 to the sample before sending to the lab?

My starting Sg was 1.092 so I thought around 13%, my reading must have been wrong. Maybe I need to filter and let the must settle out before I measure?

I usually measure Brix at the start, then convert to SG. Too many solids in that must and I never feel like I can get a reliable SG reading.

I wonder how accurate they claim their numbers to be. So2 is likely legit and easy to imagine dosing more than intended. Both at crush then again a few weeks ago.

The abv though- no idea how accurate they are. I guess they use that ebullimeter or whatever it’s called. but I think they are questionable results— Depending on how confident you wereof your levels. But it sounds likeyou were relatively confident.

if you thought you were at 13% with a starting gravity of 1.092 then I assume it ended around .995.
but to be at 10.78%abv means would have stopped at 1.013. The 2.3g/L residual sugar doesn’t reflect that tho. Shows dry essentially. So if ending at .995 means starting gravity was actually around 1.075. That’s a big swing from 1.092. Hard to make that error though. That’s 18% Brix. Which isn’t unheard of - but typically grapes sold for home winemaking are riper than that.

idk maybe the election brought out the skeptic in me, but I wouldn’t trust that abv #.

The abv though- no idea how accurate they are. I guess they use that ebullimeter or whatever it’s called. but I think they are questionable results— Depending on how confident you wereof your levels. But it sounds likeyou were relatively confident.

if you thought you were at 13% with a starting gravity of 1.092 then I assume it ended around .995.
but to be at 10.78%abv means would have stopped at 1.013. The 2.3g/L residual sugar doesn’t reflect that tho. Shows dry essentially. So if ending at .995 means starting gravity was actually around 1.075. That’s a big swing from 1.092. Hard to make that error though. That’s 18% Brix. Which isn’t unheard of - but typically grapes sold for home winemaking are riper than that.

idk maybe the election brought out the skeptic in me, but I wouldn’t trust that abv #.

I agree with your concerns/confusion regarding the ABV. I don't know the resolution.
The sheet says that the ABV was measured with FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy). I would think that that would be pretty accurate. I could ask my DW (who happens to be a world expert in that particular analytical technique) if she has any insight...

I have used Lodi wine labs for the last 3 years and though I have been surprised by some numbers at times, compared to what my own numbers are, I trust their results. I'm able to test Brix, TA, PH and So2 and I contribute any differences to my abilities or lack there of being a chemist. I know labs make errors to but I would guess they are fewer than what I would make.

I wonder how accurate they claim their numbers to be. So2 is likely legit and easy to imagine dosing more than intended. Both at crush then again a few weeks ago.

I think it’s more likely my refractometer and my skill in calibration is an issue, also I may have underestimated the amount of less ripe grapes vs ripe grapes in vineyard at harvest.

Latest posts

Back