Livermore Cabernet and Merlot Frozen Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a wooden press very similar to the one you have and mix together the free run with the pressed juice. I am of the opinion that I can't press hard enough to break seeds and introduce that kind of tannin into my batches. I just scoop out of my fermenting buckets, everything into the press, catch whatever comes out. No need for a Gazillion Hole Pipe, even though I have one. I did use it once and thought it was more trouble than it was worth.

Surely, this can’t be your first exposure to the GHP?
It is my first exposure. However, this is only my third attempt at using grapes and open fermenting. When making kits in the conicals I use, all you do is empty the collection ball. Then, drain into the carboy. This is a completely different medium and process. I’m making a GHP tomorrow.

I do this too and it’s incredibly messy. Splashes everywhere! I’ve considered wrapping the outside of the basket with cling wrap but haven’t done that yet.

I have found if you get a smaller pitcher and make certain the top of the pitcher is below the level of the basket before pouring, the mess isn't nearly as bad and gentle pouring helps as well. My wife has the absolute touch with it, but it can be done. Then all you have to worry about is the liquid squirting out as you press, but anytime that happens, we just stop cranking and let it take care of the problem by itself.

I did a chromatography test yesterday. Got the results this morning after it dried overnight. Looks like I’m good to add KMeta and rack to storage.

Funny thing happened... This was the first time I’d done a test like this. I ordered my test kit from MoreWine. All the packages were labeled with bottles inside. I assumed when opening the packages that the bottles would also be labeled. It wasn't until after I threw all the packaging away that I realized the “standards” were not labeled. So now I have three similar sized bottles with visually similar contents. Oh, crap...

You’ll see by the labeling on my test sheet that I got two wrong. It’s a good thing science is consistent. I now know which bottle is which, lol...

I desaturated this image to make it easier to read.

9B9BCDB9-CCB7-49A9-A814-80E2A448A63A.jpeg

I am always overly cautious on saying, yep MLF is done. Chromotography cannot read anything below about 50 PPM and you can't really know how much malic acid you have left based on the test. Just that you might have some, so I always wait an extra two weeks or even a month after I think it is done to declare it done and add KMeta. Just in Case. I do stop opening and stirring after a test like this.

I let it go another couple weeks as well.

Don't worry about the standards. I don't even use 'em anymore. ;)
Jim, clearly I’m an absolute noob here.... So, the standards are only for my evaluative benefit and don’t residually affect the test in any way?

One of the videos (there were no instructions with the kit) that I watched to educate myself seemed to have a line of wine tests and no standards. Although I did notice that I didn’t know what that meant until now.

Please confirm the standards are not necessary with the understanding that LA is always on top, MA is in the middle and TA is on the bottom - consistently. Thanks...

Last edited:
yes. Standards are for identifying exactly where each acid will fall in your wine samples tested.

they’re useful because chroma tests are always black n white. Sometimes spots can drag, accidental spots appear, or just not be 100% clear. Standards help confirmation of results.
You don’t need them. But are useful.

I have used the standards in the past, but these days I'm too lazy to bother with them, though they do have some value. Based on the intensity of the spot that develops from the standard, it gives some idea of the sensitivity of the test. The standard is .3% which is 3g/l which is the same as 3,000ppm, and given that the standard spot is fairly dim, it tells you the test is not that sensitive. As @cmason1957 said, the malic spot will disappear long before ML completion. I've never tried it, but it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone to dilute the standard by a factor of 10, and run it the next time while testing their wine. The diluted standard sample would give an idea of what a 300ppm spot would look like.

Latest posts

Back