Livermore Cabernet and Merlot Frozen Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really nice color extraction. A combo of freezing, cold soaking, plus the enzymes *must* have done the trick.

And you were going to blend anyway? Now you have a head start on your topping wine.

Any differences in the yeasts-like a different smell, or one more vigorous than the other?

@CDrew I’m hoping to get 25-26 gallons of finished wine out of each batch. Here’s the breakdown I was aiming for:

1. 15 gallons of Merlot in a single barrel
2. 15 gallons of Cabernet in a single barrel
3. 6 gallons of Merlot in a single barrel
4. 6 gallons of Cabernet in a single barrel
5. 6 gallons of Caberlot (50/50 blend) in a single barrel
6. Anything left over would be used for topping up

270 bottles comes out to $8.00 per bottle, all things considered (must, bottle, cork, adjuncts)

As far as yeast behavior, nothing different at this time. Both are doing their thing and since the must is only 66 (C) and 67 (M) degrees, it’s not rigorous yet. But, will be...

I expect the smaller batch will be done on Sunday/Monday but the two larger will be Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Since I’m home under lockdown, it’s a good way to keep me busy!

Last edited:
Update: Co-inoculated with CH16 tonight. I put 1/16th tsp in the blend, and 1/4 tsp in each of the others. I’ve done three punch downs today. Three tomorrow and so it goes... Color is looking really great.

Ok, @Ajmassa and @sour_grapes - and any other interested parties. I introduce to you the 2019 Caberlot custom blend, 50/50! I decided it was a fool’s errand to waste such great must to my bullheaded ways. Especially since I was planning on blending six gallons in the end anyway. Might as well do it now - save the mess, frustration and heartache.

I pulled out four gallons from each active ferment and mixed it in a 18 gallon vessel.

Thanks for the repeated warnings...

View attachment 61181View attachment 61182

Wish I'd seen this last night. I would have slept much better. :D

It’s a good thing I removed 4 gallons each... Even still, about to overflow.

Just punched down for second time today. Cap is forming immediately and before I was completely done punching down all three.

Got a small whiff of SO2 on the blend so I added nutrient to all three.

Merlot:

C54E49E5-1ECB-4D25-9D35-BF730372055C.jpeg

Cabernet:

C03D6426-63DE-4077-87E2-452BAB58CE96.jpeg

Yep-once those skins inflate with CO2, they have a mind of their own. I had 30 gallons of Tempranillo that almost snuck out of a 44 gallon fermenter this past fall. Failed by less than 1 cm.

Regarding the H2S--Both fermentations? How significant? What nutrient, and what had been the prior nutrient regimen?

It still looks fantastic from here.

Last edited:
Regarding the SO2--Both fermentations? How significant? What nutrient, and what had been the prior nutrient regimen?

SO2: Right now, just the blend... I’m hoping that will be exclusive.

Prior nutrient regimen: pre yeast I added OptiRed and GoFerm. After fermentation started, I put in 10gm of FermAid and just added another 20gm of FermAid after I smelled the SO2 in the blend.

Here’s a pic of the adjuncts...

15D76359-DB14-4B91-AB02-EE547C478F10.jpeg

It’s a good thing I removed 4 gallons each... Even still, about to overflow.

Just punched down for second time today. Cap is forming immediately and before I was completely done punching down all three.

Did your whiff smell like rotten eggs? If so, that is probably H2S, which is the expected byproduct from yeast metabolism in absence of enough N-bearing nutrients. SO2 smells more like burnt match.

Here is my once-upon-a-time writeup of what my understanding is of the process:

From my reading of the primary and secondary literature, this is my understanding of H2S production and its relation to N deficiency. Proteins are made of amino acids, and two important amino acids contain sulfur. The yeast has to provide the sulfur to form these compounds to the proper organelle during protein synthesis. It does so in the form of H2S, which it extracts from more complex sulfur-containing compounds. One organelle passes the H2S off to the organelle responsible for protein synthesis.

However, nitrogen is a major component of amino acids (hence the root amine, from ammonia.) If there is a dearth of N, the organelle responsible for synthesizing the sulfur-containing amino acid cannot do its job; this results in a surfeit of H2S, which the yeast then excretes.

As John points out, we are extraordinarily sensitive to H2S and thiols (larger SH-containing molecules). That is why they add a tiny (ppm) amount of methane thiol to your natural gas supply, so that you can smell when you have a gas leak. This is good for gas-leak detection, but the unfortunate result for winemaking is that we cannot tolerate very much H2S excretion by our pet yeasts.

Hope this helps!

If you are getting H2S mid fermentation, then definitely stay on top of the nutrient additions, you'll need probably an additional gram per gallon Fermaid K at the 10 or 12 brix mark. If you start smelling H2S at 5 brix, it'll be too late for more nutrients. Oxygen is also an issue, by only punching you're not getting enough oxygen incorporated, run a fan over the top during punching, or use a fish tank air pump and submerged sparge lance during punching.

Did your whiff smell like rotten eggs? If so, that is probably H2S, which is the expected byproduct from yeast metabolism in absence of enough N-bearing nutrients. SO2 smells more like burnt match.

Glad you asked that question. I just assumed it was a rotten egg/nutrient issue.

NO!!! Don’t keep that on hand, it’s like a Dirty Harry carrying a gunshot wound repair kit!! Focus on staying out of the gunfight.
Point well taken, @Johnd ... I just punched down, I’m certain that any H2S is coming from the Merlot with the RP15. Has anyone else had this show up with RP15? The blend, where I first got a whiff is not giving me that report now. But, the Merlot is so I added 10gm more nutrients and punched 3x longer than normal. Any thing else?

Latest posts

Back