Little surprise any ideas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose' Miller

Reaction score
IMG_20180331_110619105.jpg IMG_20180331_110619105.jpg Well I have made several batches of wine but noticed something in my very first batch which is bottled that I don't know what it is? When the batch stopped at .090 SG I added Campton tablets. Three days later I added bentonite. Four days later I added Potassium sorbate. Next few days after that I used kieselol and chitosan. Five days later everything looked clear and calm. I ran it through a filter and bottled it. Now this is what I have in some of the photos....(forgot to mention I did use pectic enzyme at the beginning) Any ideas?IMG_20180331_110619105.jpg

I believe you are probably correct.
30 days is my waiting standard.
If there is sediment then rack and wait thirty more. Or more.

So you don't think anything is wrong other than me not waiting long enough? In your opinion what should I do now, put back in bulk and let sit for a minimum of 30 days? Should I re-filter after that before bottling? Thanks for your help everyone!!

Leave it. Filter, with cheese cloth or some use coffee filters, into a decanter before drinking.
If we had a national convention each year, this would qualify for the bottled early pin.
Which would be a sub category in the junior division.
I certainly earned mine.
I wouldnt open to bulk unless it has co2 in it still.
Or becoming bottle bombs..
Bottle bomb pins would have bronze, silver, gold, and best of show judged by disaster lvl, presentation, and overall storey telling ability
I only earned a bronze.

Leave it. Filter, with cheese cloth or some use coffee filters, into a decanter before drinking.
If we had a national convention each year, this would qualify for the bottled early pin.
Which would be a sub category in the junior division.
I certainly earned mine.
I wouldnt open to bulk unless it has co2 in it still.
Or becoming bottle bombs..
Bottle bomb pins would have bronze, silver, gold, and best of show judged by disaster lvl, presentation, and overall storey telling ability
I only earned a bronze.

Haha, at least it sounds like I didn't ruin it. Fortunately there is no co2 so I guess that's good.

Last edited:
Interesting. Over this length of time are you concerned about oxidation (from what little oxygen exposure is associated with the wine at the top of the shoulder of the carboy)? Mark

It is such a small surface area, compared to the volume and it has free SO2, which acts as an anti-oxit

Latest posts

Back