little bubbles in finished Pinot Noir kit from Cru International

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdrew

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly followed the directions here. I'm sure I boned this up somewhere.
7/2/20 started, SG 1.090, primary fermenter
7/12/20 1.000, racked into secondary carboy, added sulphite, potassium sorbate, kieselsol then chitosan
9/9/20 bottled

Instructions suggested bottling at day 35, would have been 8/6/20. So I was a month late there.
"If aging in bottle past 6 months, we suggest adding extra 1/4t potassium metabisulfite to 6G carboy (I was using a 5G carboy)
Keep bottles upright for one day, then age on side to keep corks wet.

So, I crack a bottle on 9/16/20, and darnit: minuscule bubbles. This wine is bottled, and I fear I may have to suffer through this. This is the second time I've had bubbles in a finished kit - Maybe something I'm continually doing is precipitating these shenanigans? My basement temperature, the general presence of sawdust (house projects mitre saw and table saw in there) in the air at all times down there? My specific basement funk?

thanks a million!

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_205525.jpg
    IMG_20200712_205525.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 31
  • cru intl pinot noir kit 20200918_0920.pdf
    667.9 KB · Views: 8
you are bottling to soon and not degassing the wine. our procedure was okay justified by the instructions. Experience has taught me to stir the wine during fermentation at lest once a day. this release any co2 in the must. once fermentation is compete I rack to a carboy with airlock, and then rack again in three days off any lees. add kmeta and fining solutions at this time. rack again in three weeks. unless sweetening the wine no need to add sorbate. wait until wine is clear and bottle at about three months rack before bottling and add 1/4 tsp K-meta at this time and then bottle.

Just a guess, but I think it was simply not degassed well enough. The extra time before bottling would help, not hurt. You added k-meta and sorbate, so highly unlikely it‘s refermenting. Bulk aging (in the carboy) helps degas CO2, like soda left in the can on the counter. Many here bulk age for months, if not years. You could simply decant before drinking.

What is the blue tape for? I hope that’s not your air lock.

unless sweetening the wine no need to add sorbate.
Or if there’s residual sugar. The OP says it finished at 1.000, so likely a little residual. I personally don’t think there’s any reason not to add sorbate, especially for a kit wine. I agree with everything else you said.

wait until wine is clear
Good point, often not stressed enough. Crystal clear wine is also usually a good indication that the wine is degassed well.

the use of sorbate suggestion is because some people can taste it somewhat like bubble gum. other identify a "kit taste" if sugars are all gone no need to worry about referment.

All really good points. Yes, I wanted to make sure there wasn't any restarting fermentation with the residual sugar at 1.000
I thought it sitting in the carboy for additional time would be okay. Bulk aging, yup, that's the thing!

I'm thinking I should have racked one more time before bottling, and degassed it more.

@KCCam the blue tape on the 1G jug is lees left over. I'll probably use it for skeeter pee in a few weeks. Certainly not my "air lock!"

I think I'll pull the wine back out of the bottles, degas the pi*#)% out of it again. Let it sit overnight, degas the snot out of it again, let it sit for the day, then re-bottle that evening. Have to toss all those corks, and lots of extra effort: but experience is the best teacher right?

Decant was a good suggestion. Aerator might be another way. I have a vacuum sealer and bought the stoppers that go with it. I'd go bottle at a time rather than risk ruining the whole batch.

I think I'll pull the wine back out of the bottles, degas the pi*#)% out of it again. Let it sit overnight, degas the snot out of it again, let it sit for the day, then re-bottle that evening.
Not sure how you degas, but be careful you don’t introduce too much oxygen while doing so. This is one of the reasons I love my AIO vacuum pump. If it were me, I’d follow @1d10t’s advice and do it one bottle at a time, when you drink them.

@1d10t like one of these amazon vacu-suck? Now I can certainly de-gas when I open them. That'd be quick and easy. I've got one of these little jobbies that would probably do the trick. Maybe even too much. I'll try some different stuff out. How about those cans of argon to spray in there?
  • Yes to the Vacu-Vin. The model I got years ago had stoppers that fit over the neck of the wine bottle, and were the perfect size to fit over a #7 1/2 bung, so I could apply a vacuum to the carboy to help degas. Good work-out! My AIO makes it so much easier now.
  • The "little jobbies" -- maybe? You'd have to try it. They're meant to froth milk, so I'm guessing not.
  • Argon? Definitely not. It's meant to replace the air in the headspace to prevent oxidation. It does nothing for removing dissolved CO2.
Or, you could give it all away to your friends and family and start a new fad: "Sparkling Pinot Noir". Tell them you went to great effort to get just the right amount of sparkle.

@1d10t like one of these amazon vacu-suck? Now I can certainly de-gas when I open them. That'd be quick and easy. I've got one of these little jobbies that would probably do the trick. Maybe even too much. I'll try some different stuff out. How about those cans of argon to spray in there?
I have a food saver and use these. https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T0...e+stopper&qid=1600649726&s=home-garden&sr=1-3 Anything that pulls a vacuum would work. Might not be instant but they are useful in their own right.

Argon is a separate issue. We're only discussing degassing by the bottle here.

Latest posts

Back