Liqueurs, infusions, extracts section?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong section for this - if so, hopefully a mod can move it.

This is a two-parter:

1. I have been getting into homemade liqueurs to accompany my bar selection, and thought a forum section w/ subsections on liqueurs, infusions, tinctures bitters, and such would be a productive and helpful section? Anyone else interestedl? I would think it wouldn't fall under the legal issue of distillation since the focus is on the infusion of a pre-made liquors?

2. Do any of you abide by a basic rule(s) for liqueurs? (ratios of liquor to sugar to adjuncts? abv, etc)

Only thing I've dabbled in is limoncello. But that has been very enjoyable. I need to check on availability of Everclear. It isn't (or at least wasn't) legal here in VA and I used to get my sister in MD to grab some for me when she was coming down. MD outlawed it as well at one point, but I think they brought it back.

Only thing I've dabbled in is limoncello. But that has been very enjoyable. I need to check on availability of Everclear. It isn't (or at least wasn't) legal here in VA and I used to get my sister in MD to grab some for me when she was coming down. MD outlawed it as well at one point, but I think they brought it back.

For limoncello, and similar liqueurs, I've just been using higher abv vodkas, and using the simple syrup water content to bring the abv down to my desired level. Everclear seems like overkill to me. In order to get the ABV down to a palatable level would require lots of watering down and dilution of flavor

Last edited:
This is something I do, usually with things i have grown. Walnut wine, nocino, herbal extracts or liqueurs. I have several jars of seedy-weedy alcohol to filter, and I just infused 2.5 liters of shiso-basil vodka for bloody marys. Would have been more, but bloody marys...

This is something I do, usually with things i have grown. Walnut wine, nocino, herbal extracts or liqueurs. I have several jars of seedy-weedy alcohol to filter, and I just infused 2.5 liters of shiso-basil vodka for bloody marys. Would have been more, but bloody marys...
I also tried my hand at infused alcohol, following an Alton Brown recipe, I made an apricot infused vodka and it turned out great
Definitely interested in this thread

I also just wrapped up a compound gin. Bought a decent but affordable vodka, then infused with juniper, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, red peppercorn, lemon and orange zest, and cucumber skin

Has a ruddy tinge to it because it isn't filtered like commercial stuff, but turned out really nice and only takes 2 days!

Here is a basic recipe I use for an Everclear ( 190 proof stuff ) and simple syrup ( water/sugar mix )

750 ml Everclear infusion
750 ml simple syrup ( 375 ml water plus 375 ml sugar )

So, basically a 1:1 ratio of hootch and simple syrup. Use a quart of Everclear? Add a quart of simple syrup, * after the infusion.*

Simple syrup recipe is basically a 1:1 blend of water and sugar. ( heat the water....add the sugar to dissolve...voila! ) I let it cool before adding to the infused hootch .

I have used this in making limoncello ( lemon infusion ) and recently with sweet cherries ( cherry infusion ) and it works great!

2. Do any of you abide by a basic rule(s) for liqueurs? (ratios of liquor to sugar to adjuncts? abv, etc)
This is Thunderdome. There are no rules!

:)

I used to make a standard 2:1 sugar syrup for sweetening liqueurs, but later switched to 1:1 as I want less sugar. Recently I started using Everclear for extraction, which makes the sugar/water ratio even more complicated, as diluting 80 proof to 60 proof is simple (3:1) while diluting 150 proof to 60 proof while maintaining a sugar ratio is far more difficult. I created a workbook that figures my ratios, as it's complicated and I'm lazy.

This is Thunderdome. There are no rules!

:)

I used to make a standard 2:1 sugar syrup for sweetening liqueurs, but later switched to 1:1 as I want less sugar. Recently I started using Everclear for extraction, which makes the sugar/water ratio even more complicated, as diluting 80 proof to 60 proof is simple (3:1) while diluting 150 proof to 60 proof while maintaining a sugar ratio is far more difficult. I created a workbook that figures my ratios, as it's complicated and I'm lazy.

From what I've seen, most commercial products and hobbyists seem to keep their liqueurs in the 20-30%abv range, and sugar in the 1-2cups per 750ml range. That's about the extent of the"rules" I was curious about

Back