Lingonberry from IKEA syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aieee! Sorry to hear that, Red! Can you verify the recipe you used? Did you use the same IKEA syrup that I started with? How much did you dilute it? Also, what yeast did you use?

Reviving this thread with a photo of my beautiful lingonberry wine before I bottle it!
65100988-8669-4FC5-AE5D-643B9046D1F2.jpeg
Made it for a friend who loves lingonberries. Fresh/frozen berries were way too expensive, so I searched on making it from syrup and found this thread.

I got the syrup from Amazon. I think it was about $18/bottle and I used 2 bottles, so it was a still a little spendy, but the frozen berries would have been close to $100 for a 1 gallon batch of wine!

IMG_3808.JPEG

Recipe adapted from what y'all were doing on this thread:

2 16.9 oz bottles lingonberry syrup
1/2 C sugar dissolved in 2 C water
14 C water (including rinsed out from bottles)
2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp tannin
1 Campden tablet, crushed
Red Star Premiere Classique yeast (partial package)
S.G. before yeast: 1.088
Final S.G. before backsweetening: .994

Note: I have a heater pad with a thermostat that I kept at 75 degrees F, so it keeps my fermenting buckets at a more even and warmer temp than the room temp - I think it turns the power on the heater pad at 2 degrees lower than the set temp and turns it off at 2 degrees higher.

2021.01.17: Mixed all ingredients except yeast in 2 gallon fermenting bucket covered with a thin towel
2021.01.18: Stirred must, then pitched yeast
2021.01.19: Stirred twice because there weren't many bubbles and I ended up adding more yeast; in hindsight, I think I should have waited closer to 24 hours after adding Campden tablet and as I recall I was excited to start this and pitched the yeast closer to 10 hours. 6 hours after the 2nd yeast pitch, it was fermenting merrily and the must was up to 78-79 degrees.
2021.01.20: Some bubbling while stirring
2021.01.21: Lots of bubbles; stirred must
2021.01.22: Bubbly still; stirred must
2021.01.23: Fewer bubbles; s.g. 1.006; racked to gallon carboy (+ almost 1 pint)
2021.02.06: s.g. .994; stabilized + 1 crushed Campden tablet and racked to gallon carboy, topped off with extra pint
2021.02.20: Racked and backsweetened* with 1 C simple syrup (2 sugar: 1 water)
2021.02.28: Planning to bottle today with 1 crushed Campden tablet; Final S.G. = 1.012

*Trying to sweeten to my friend's taste. I find that I don't care for the lingonberry wine, myself, but I sweetened it a little less than I did my cranberry. I figure that this will be an experiment. I'm going to record the sweetened s.g. before I bottle, and then if I make it for her again, I will be able to adjust.

But it's just so pretty!!! Definitely bottling in clear bottles!

Edited to fix typos because I do my best editing after I hit the Post button. Grrrr.

Edited again to record S.G. after backsweetening.

Attachments

• IMG_3751.PNG
    IMG_3751.PNG
    501.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back