Lingonberry from IKEA syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did add a tsp per gal of pectic enzyme at the start. Should I add more when I rack?

I did add a tsp per gal of pectic enzyme at the start. Should I add more when I rack?

No reason you cannot add it now. The sooner the pectic enzyme is on board the better outcome you typically see.

vernsgal said:
Add it as soon as you can, I think. The next time you test SG, or if you plan to rack shortly, go ahead and add it if you haven't done so by that point...

I think it's helping...

So I racked mine today. SG got down to .095.It tasted good, cranberry like after taste.A little bitter I think but hard to say because alc. was still real strong (I did add raisons at the start, so my Alc. ended at 13.49%)added some k-meta and sorbate.I'll let it sit awhile and taste again before deciding whether to back sweeten or not.

I just bottled my batch and was pleased at the aroma and clarity. I agree that it was rather cranberry-like, and quite tart, so I expect that like my cranberry wines I'll let age for quite a few months before tasting again. I filtered mine through a set of pads that had just done a batch of Valpolicella, so there might have been 4-5 oz of it trapped in the pads which blended with my Lingonberry -- I can't really taste the effect, but it may have contributed something (maybe just a little colour).

Here's a look:

grogg.jpg

Last edited:
sgx2 did you backsweeten or just leave it dry?

I rarely backsweeten -- while I enjoy a sweeter wine, my wife does not and I'm supposed to be watching my sugars and eating as low glycemic as I can. Wine is my indulgence :h

In this case, I had no impulse to backsweeten as I enjoyed the tartness -- cranberry is, perhaps, my favourite fruit wine and I was curious how this would compare. After all, if I wanted to do up a larger batch it would be reasonably cost-effective (a 5gal batch would be about 4 times the volume I made, so it would cost about $55.00), and I wanted to compare this with buying large quantities of cranberries at harvest time and steam juicing them..... ... . .. ... . ... .. ... ....... .... ...

It looks great. Mine is still in secondary clearing. I do love your label :)

Thanks! If it persists in being hazy you may want to hit it with another dose of pectic enzyme - I did, and it cleared like a champ. Feel free to use my label -- I think it's attached in the thread here :)

Just gathered up 50+ pounds of Lingonberries. They are now safely in the freezer awaiting there turn at the vat:D

Thanks! If it persists in being hazy you may want to hit it with another dose of pectic enzyme - I did, and it cleared like a champ. Feel free to use my label -- I think it's attached in the thread here :)

I''m going away for a week and will see how it's doing when I get back. Thanks for all your help. ( I looked at ribena today and thought " that could be good") wasn't surprised to see a post from you on it.Expect some questions on that post from me in another few weeks!
Thanks for your help SGX2!!

vernsgal said:
I''m going away for a week and will see how it's doing when I get back. Thanks for all your help. ( I looked at ribena today and thought " that could be good") wasn't surprised to see a post from you on it.Expect some questions on that post from me in another few weeks! Thanks for your help SGX2!!
:h have fun!

Oh, and definitely try the Ribena wine - feel free to ask/comment on the thread I started!

My attempts didn't work. Nothing happened to my must. The yeast didn't have a good environment to work in. I think it might have heen a little too acidic. I am disappointed. I will be trying it again.

My attempts didn't work. Nothing happened to my must. The yeast didn't have a good environment to work in. I think it might have heen a little too acidic. I am disappointed. I will be trying it again.

What was your starting SG? Did you use nutrients?

Latest posts

Back